• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tensho

kotegashiNeo

This is going out to all the Goju guys out there especially the higher ranking practioners. I was wondering if some could explain the purpose of the daoist breathing (Backwards) and the route that you breath(Ki) should take while doing this kata. From my experience very few sensei know this kata let alone the important details regarding its proper performance. Also any information or theories regarding the creation of this kata, would be great for discussion.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess sensei miyagi created Tensho for those older students who were not able to practice sanchin like before. I also like to know about proper breathing in Tensho, I hope MASTER JULES see this post and explains a little bit.

I know tensho. I don't know what you mean by backwards breathing, but the form helps when you breath in, all the way to your duntien(sp). And the outward breathing helps you tighten up for blows and make your whole body tight while striking

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

Goju for life the breathing in Tensho is referred to as daoist breathing and is done backwards when compared to Sanchin kata. Now as for the route that you breath should take I am well aware that it should end up in your hara (dantien) but the two sanchin that we practice take different routes with regards to how the breath ends up in the hara. Out of curiousity goju for life I was wondering do you do okinawan or japanese goju ?

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

I practice Sunsei Goju Ryu, which came from Nisei Goju Ryu, WHich Came rom American Goju Ryu.

My Shihan made a lot of changes because of things he didn't think should be a part of his style through his experiences as a professional kickboxer and other experience(training with different people etc...)

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

Miyagi developed tensho from the Chinese form "Rokkisho" 6 wind hands. I cannot claim to have much depth on this kata but am aware that it develops the power of the waist.

Mike Clark has written a superb article on the subject. You can read it on his website: http://www.gojukarate.co.uk/ under articles, second from bottom.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Sanchin is a form practiced with closed hands so that the energy that you are accumulating stays in the body. At the end of the form, when you open your hands and "flick" into the endind circle, you expell the extra energy. That is also why you step backwards, so as not to step into the expelled energy.

Tensho has the same breathing form as Sanchin, but softer. The idea of the form, since it is done with OPEN hands, is to allow the energy to be released from the body during its performance, again the reason for stepping backwards at the end.

The breathing "pattern" is in through the nose, out through the mouth as you all know. The though is to have the breath come in through the nose, think of it going up the centerline of the head, down the back, up and under the groin area, and finally, ending in your tandien (3 fingers below your belly button)

In regards to the differing "kans" of Goju, I am descrbing the true Okinawa way. I also hold a Nidan from 96 in the USA/Urban and Japanese versions as well. My feeling, along with other higher ranking Okinawan stylists, is that the Japanese, USA, and Nisei guys perform the kata WAY to hard, which is detrimental to health.

These two forms are also known as chi gung, in its standing form, as well as "moving zen". If done properly, they facilitate a healthy mind, body, and spirit. If improperly performed, best case scenario is that you simply dont "get" anything out of it....worst case scenario is internal damage, which we can all do without.

These forms have very deep roots as far as their Chinese "lineage". That is why it bothers me to hear that some instructors make changes to them because of what they "think"....How can anyone claim to have the depth of knowledge that Great Grandmaster Miyagi, or his instructors had ???? It is done the way its done for specific pupose, which shouldnt be fooled around with....as they say....if it aint broke...dont fix it, and as I said...it is very hard to understand how anyone outside of some of the highest level masters on Okinawa could have the audacity to think they know more about the pros and cons (if any) of theses forms to change them.

Thats my two cents.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Master jules do you have any article on proper way

of sanchin-dachi and performing sanchin. I need to check my sanchin. I am getting different info. from diff. sources and they are not the same, I'd love to learn from a okinawan goju-ryu stylist.