• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructor Present

A friend of mine at my karate dojo is due to be taking her 1st dan shortly.

She wants to buy our instructor a present if (when!) she passes.

However, she wants to get him something a little unusual.

She asked me for advice on what to get, but I can't really come up with any good ideas, except for a good bottle of whiskey or a martial arts related book, both of which aren't really unusual ideas.

Any suggestions as to an appropriate gift?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only times I ever accepted gifts from students were Christmas and birthdays. And I made sure they were little inexpensive things.

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.

I would still go for a good martial arts book- to be on the safe side - on karate but not necessarilly on the style that she practices.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

I feel a little odd when it comes to buying presents for my instructors. I stick to a more personal gesture. A plate of homemade cookies or a pan of their favorite dish (home made of course) :D .

They seem to really enjoy it.

I'm an excellent cook and it still hasn't helped on any of my gradings. In fact on every one he just adds extra stuff just to see if I could do it. :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

the whole idea of buying a gift after a test is a little bit unusual.

Yes, could it be trying to get "points"

No, it isn't trying to get 'points'.

She genuinely appreciates the help and effort that my instructor has given her. She wants to say "thank you" in return.

My instructor isn't into Christmas and doesn't give or recieve presents at that time, so she's never got him anything for Christmas or his birthday or anything like that.

However, she feels that it would be apropriate to get him a gift to mark her appreciation for his teaching. It may be a little unusual, but I think it is a nice gesture.

When I passed my Shodan I didn't buy my instructor a formal present...but I did get him several 'thank you' beers at the bar afterwards!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!