• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Language in the dojang

In my Tang Soo Do we call out the technique and the ask if any one knows it. If so they must demonstrate and say it in English. After that we count 1-10 in korean then Twi Tori (turn around)and another techinique. We also use korean for hyung and so on!

TANG SOO!!! & SEMPER FI!!!

Dusty Sawyer,

Ee Dan, Tang Soo Do,

Young Marine Cpl.

"Those who do not battle for their country do not know with what ease they accept their citizenship in America" Dan Beralis, Veitnam Jouranlist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my last message I said "In my Tang Soo Do we call..."

I ment to say In my Tang Soo Do school. Sorry for the error!

TANG SOO!!! & SEMPER FI!!!

Dusty Sawyer,

Ee Dan, Tang Soo Do,

Young Marine Cpl.

"Those who do not battle for their country do not know with what ease they accept their citizenship in America" Dan Beralis, Veitnam Jouranlist

• 2 weeks later...

At my dojang, we count mostly in Korean. On most occassions we end at 10, but sometimes we go to 20 or more. Most of the kicks and stuff are announced in English (for beginners), and on certain occassions like testing, I usually call the kicks in Korean and expect them all to know.

It makes it a little more traditional I feel.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

In my karate Lessons they throw Japanese at you and help you along with the meanings - we usually count in Japanese.

Similar thing happened when I did TaeKwon Do - but in Korean - unsuprisingly! hehe

They tought us Korean as they went along.

In my Ju jitsu class I am the only one who knows it in Japanese I think! lol

If I can remember them all, I'm going to start counting in korean. I'll try to learn the moves in korean too, just to make things interesting. :D

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

We use only the Korean names for our forms and techniques.

We also use Korean for our bowing in and out of class, and for words like "ready", "stop", "begin". (I'm not sure how to spell them in Korean, which is why I put them in English)

For our kicking and striking, our instructors use the Korean name, then the English name. We count in Korean, at least up to 10.

Newer students sometimes have to count off pushups, situps, etc, and they will use English until they learn the Korean numbers. There is no set point when you are expected to know them, nor have I ever seen an instructor get on any student for not using Korean numbers.

I just started by learning the numbers in order. So at one point, I was counting to 5 in Korean, then 6-10 in English. I just kept doing it that way until I was comfortable with the Korean numbers.

In I think my first test, we were asked individually to demonstrate our favorite kick, after saying the name in Korean. Our instructor started with the higher belts, however, so all the white belts had to do was be able to repeat what somebody else said and then do the kick. We haven't been asked to do that again, however.