• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Language in the dojang

Do you think that counting such things as hyung, kicks, punches, and ect... should be counted in Korean or English. I, myself, depending on the day and mood I am, sometimes switch it up. Like count one thing in english, another in korean, just to keep the kids on thier toes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When teaching my beginners karate class I alternate between counting in Japanese and counting in English to help fix the terminology in the students minds.

When stating the techniques we will be working on I usually say the name of the technique in Japanese and repeat it again in English. ie "step forward, Hidari Gedan Barai" is repeated as "step forward, left side downwards groin-level block".

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

We have basic comands in Korean always. But counting, hardly. My master instructor will call out techniques in Korean, though, once in a while. Most stuff is in english.

My old TSD school had comands, counting, and techniques mostly in Korean (except for beginners).

Laurie F

At my school, counting, stances, cuts, forms and everything are in Korean. If you cant learn it, you get left behind. It kinda sucks.. :(

There will always be the Jackie Chans and Jet Li's who will come along and dazzle us with their screen antics. But Bruce Lee was a seeker of knowledge, a true master of the fighting arts and philosophy.

• 5 months later...

In my school, the basic commands are in korean (face instructor, bow, fighting stance...) and a few blackbelts will count in korean, but most others in english. :P

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

In my school, the basic commands are in korean (face instructor, bow, fighting stance...) and a few blackbelts will count in korean, but most others in english. :P

Most of our commands are English as well. This is just as well since many of the schools in our region are rather "rural" and "country" I am sure the Korean pronunciations get badly butchered. This part of the country is bad enough on English.

2nd Degree Black ITA Tae Kwon Do

First Korean,... repeated by the students,... Then English,... followed by a "Yes Sir/Yes Maam!!!"

The actual counting is done by a string of kiaps. The students only count in Korean when doing calasthenics.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

Lots of English followed by the Korean at the lower levels.

As you get higher level, you use less and less English.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

The most effective way I have found to make the Korean, Japanese, or chinese language stick it to say it in the other language, then in English. Before you know it students will have it down. My preferance is non-English.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."