• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shorei-ryu vs. goju shorei

plainwhitets

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am hoping that I can shed some light on this subject for you. The only question I have is are you talking about Trias style Shorei-ryu or Aragaki/Higaonna Shorei-ryu? I will address both, though I have little knowledge of the Trias meathod.

First, Goju-Shorei this system is based off of the Goju-ryu style as taught by Gogen Yamaguchi and was started in Chicago by Robert higgins and was passed on to Donald Baker. The Goju-ryu system is based on the Naha-te style that was taught to Ghojun Miyagi by Kanryo Higaonna who was trained by Seisho Aragaki and by a Chinese gung-fu master named Ryuruko. The Goju style is a mix of hard and soft style techniques.

Next, the Trias style Shorei-ryu, also known as Shuri-ryu. This system was started by an American sailor named Robert Trias in Arizona around 1946. This style is a blend of Hsing Yi and Okinawan Shuri-te karate. It is also a blend of hard and soft style techniques. This style has been very influential in the development of sport karate in the United States and has several world champions associated with it i.e., Mike Chat, Matt Bowles, Susan Wanckett, and many others.

Finally, Aragaki or Arakaki style Shorei-ryu, This style dates back to the Mid to Late 1800's and is based heavily off of Chinese Kempo. The Master's name is Seisho Aragaki, or Arakaki, or Arajaki, depending on where you are form or who you talk to. Aragaki was born in Okinawa and is supposed to have started training around the age of 16. He is credited with the creation of several kata: Niseishi sho, Niseishi dai(Nijushiho), Unsu, and Unsu. He is known to have taught two versions of the kata Seisan. He had a great many notable students, Kanryo Higaonna, Kenwa Mabuni, Kambum Uechi, Gichin Funakoshi, and Tsuyoshi Chitose. All of these notable instructors have kata that are still handed down today that originated from Aragaki. Today many of Aragaki's anscestors are practitioners of Goju-ryu, but some have kept the Aragaki family tradition alive, though to most of the martial arts public it is not a widely recognised style.

I hope this helps you in your search for more information. :)

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."