• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help I need advice for solo training!!!!!

Samurai Shotokan

I need some advice for solo training cus I dont know how to practise self defenses and kata on my own( i know I make a mistake but I dont know what it is) and some heavy bag advice as well if anyone could help. I ask this because Im the only one in my family that practises MA so my family cant really help anyway.

So how do you practise self defenses without a partner??

How do I get better at kata when i dont know what im doing wrong?

Any heavy bag advice for strong powerful kicks and punches?

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There is a gr8 book called "solo training" by Loren Christensen, its brilliantly written and probably the best martial arts book for training at home without a partner u can get. I've got it and its pretty amazing.

Check the link out and read what the reveiws say:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1880336596/qid=1094061744/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-3952879-0796818?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

As far as going through your kata......you should be imagining an opponent when going through the form.....just remember.....the applications to the kata may not look like the performance of the kata.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I'd also recommend Solo Training by Christenson. Also his other book, The Way Alone, which is more concise. But these books will give you ideas about how to construct a workout. They won't tell you the correct movements for kata or kihon. Probably, you need to train with an instructor or class regularly if you can, and then practise at home.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

learn in class.....practice everywhere u can

I'm very new to Karate and what I tend to do is practise whatever I learn at home. Right now I don't know much but I do things like gekisai dai Ichi and basically anything I can remember doing in class.

I try not to do it too much at home though as I may pick up bad habits. I just do it a little bit to keep it fresh in my mind before the next lesson.

Brit.......constant repetitions.....countless in fact.....is what will create "mushin"....the state of "no mind".....its the idea that the body will just "react", without thinking about it.......just keep training my friend.....just keep training

Hey Brit, I'm actually extremely new to karate as I still have to begin my real classes next week on campus. I never actually really thought about doing practices at home, I thought I would pick up bad habits as well, but it makes sense now that I think about it to do some things.

Jules, what can be done to prevent mushin? Because I think I would definitely fall prey to that, being I dont want to look like an idiot in class if I forget a stance or move. I'm actually doing Goju ryu karate for those that dont know and I'm already getting frustated that I dont seem to be getting the semicircular footwork down, its probably because I havent practiced it in class yet but doing it on my own. In any case, thanks for all the advice!

(Jules - lovin the signature bro :D )

Slowly but surely

Mushin is what we strive to obtain......not avoid

Brit.......constant repetitions.....countless in fact.....is what will create "mushin"....the state of "no mind".....its the idea that the body will just "react", without thinking about it.......

Which is IMHO a bad idea if you can't make sure that you react correctly.