• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How important is speed to you?

Speed is very important as is power and movement but I believe timing is the most important. Without proper timing you punch or kick at the wrong moment. Without timing you move the wrong way and BAM the next thing you know. :sleep:. Its not how hard, how fast or where you punch,kick or move it is when!

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed amd timing are totally different. Speed is how fast you punch, timing is the moment when you punch. If someone has very powerful punches but is very slow he/she can still pop you if he/she has good timing and knows when to punch. George Foreman is a perfect example of this. He was a slow mover and puncher but look out if he ever timed his right cross. If you have great speed but always punch or kick when your opponent is guarding where you hit speed does very little for you. Also speed can kill if you use your speed to duck into an oncoming kick or punch the speed will only add force to the blow.

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

So If I say there are differnent areas of speed: handspeed, footspeed, duckingspeed, and speed in thinking on your feet and responding in your head fast

What would you say a person with no foot speed should focus on to improve fighting and self defense skills?

speed is an upmost factor in any srtikes hand or foot..the more velocity the more power...you cant get hurt by a bullet thrown at you but that same bullet out of a gun with the firece velocity will pierce and kill you....the faster you are with your strikes hand or feet the more penetrating energy or force you will strike with....

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

sai the best drills in increasing foot speed and velocity of kicks and accuracy at the same time is paddles or targets..also great for working footwork..such as closing the gap and striking at the same time..besides the heavy bag..paddles are a great improvement in force of kicks..and speed

Javier l Rosario

bayshore new york

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your ass"

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2001-12-25 15:58 ]

Javier l Rosario

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Thanks Taezee, I work on hand speed and blocking as much as I can. I am moving better now thanks to some of the hints I have gotten in here. My roundhouse kick usually gets through. I know I will never be as agile as a fully able bodied person will but, I am now the most agile person I know who has had ms for over 20 years.

one thing ive seen again and again is that with martial arts there are no boundries..that the indomitable spirit we form in doing martial arts can overcome almost any obstacle..physical or mental :up:

Javier l Rosario