• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What makes an instructor a Master?

If I can state, that actually si (shi) the sound like a "sh" or "zh" can translate itself as teacher. In Mandarin, the translation could be many-temple-monastery,four, to die, to resemble....fu, taken on many others, louh, or old.

well, that's the thing.

this statement isn't quite true.

possible just bad wording.

'si' doesn't translate to the other terms.

they are all different terms that just happen to be romanised the same.

if you go back to the original forms you will see/hear that they are all different.

the romanised form 'si' is used for many words.

but

that doesn't change the meaning of si-fu as the 'si' and the 'fu' are two very specific words that do not mean anything other than 'teacher/instructor' and 'father/patriarch'.

what i mean is, 'si' only has extra meanings when read in english.

in chinese they (four, temple, etc) are all different.

the only possible area for confusion arises when you read the romanised words and try to work out which chinese character/word it is supposed to be.

i.e the translation is wrong if you think it is something other than the correct character.

simply equates to:

pair, pare, pear.

and maybe

pier/peer/peer.

anyway.

what do you think is more important?

the ability to do

or

the ability to teach (you to be better)?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

and that's what's been bugging me.

yes.

when you romanise some words from the chinese langauge, you get the same spelling

but

that doesn't change the meaning of them original words.

even if you mis-read the romanised versions,

that also doesn't change what the original chinese means.

what i mean is, while yes, i know that if you don't know the langauage that well you might mis-read the romanised versions but that point doesn't mean much when I am not mis-reading them

nor am i mis-translating them to you guys.

and well, also,

using si-gung as an example.

if you didn't know the language you might think that the 'si' is the same as in temple and that the 'gung' is the same as in kung fu

when in fact it isn't/they aren't.

you mis-reading it, thinking they are the same, doesn't make it so.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

and that's what's been bugging me.

yes.

when you romanise some words from the chinese langauge, you get the same spelling

but

that doesn't change the meaning of them original words.

even if you mis-read the romanised versions,

that also doesn't change what the original chinese means.

what i mean is, while yes, i know that if you don't know the langauage that well you might mis-read the romanised versions but that point doesn't mean much when I am not mis-reading them

nor am i mis-translating them to you guys.

and well, also,

using si-gung as an example.

if you didn't know the language you might think that the 'si' is the same as in temple and that the 'gung' is the same as in kung fu

when in fact it isn't/they aren't.

you mis-reading it, thinking they are the same, doesn't make it so.

Or someone interpretating and/or mis-interpretating it. :wink:

• 2 months later...

on teachers and masters:

do not confuse your father or grandfather with your teacher of skills or his teacher of skills. a teacher of skills may adopt you into his family or tong in successive orders of closeness to the true art of the style much like the layers of an onion.

wahtever you do don't drink a kai tai and call him a sifut for your te will suffer and your tei may be dumped on you. be careful when taking him out for some sea food for jing mai qipi popping up. and don't shout 'yeh yu' yioyio. its disrespectful.

a master is some old guy in a 'your mother dresses you funny' orange or blue robe and tells you to strip to your underwear in the arctic winter and don't get cold: he's a masterd if he's standing there in a warm coat, a master if he's doing it with you.

a master is a person who can show you why that technique won't work in a given situation but will work in others and the conditions which contribute to both success and failure.

A "GrandMaster" is a combat veteran of fighting multiple opponents of equal or similar skill qualification readily and effortlessly.

Traditionally a sifu needs to know 10 forms; a style master 17 forms, five of which must be weapons; a grand master must be master of three styles and five principles and present a demonstration to widely acknowledged leaders in the styles being represented and their decision must be unanymous.

Ah! Mantis Grasshopper, i think you would do very nicely on a bowl of rice!