• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What makes an instructor a Master?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

IMO ethinicity? (ethnicity ?) does not matter.

Origins are a prerequisite unless it is the Founder.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

I agree. Where a person comes from shouldn't matter - it's what they've done, who they've trained with and what they can do that are the important factors in being a MA Master.

Also, 'Master' means different things to different people, depending on their background and training. As DM keeps on reminding us... the term 'Master' means far different things in Chinese martial arts than it does in the West.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I agree with you in that origins don't matter. You seem pretty open minded. I just went to the website TOASKUNGFU.com There was so much information and this Master Safakhoo IS the founder of this style of kung fu, Toas. It's impressive to me that he has enough confidence in his techniques to introduce them to people, and I am sure it is not easy to try to create a new system of martial art. What do you think about the website? Seems interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

A Master is someone how has made there art (while keeping the tech. and spiritual asspects true and intact) better then it was when it was passed to them. The art must always improve and evolve threw each generation (with out changing it, or makeing things up) or it will die out.

...and that can never happen.

It breeds great perfection if the practice be harder then the use.

Learn by teaching

I always understood the concept of a master as someone who has perfected every intricate and intimate detail of a certain martial art (physical and mental) and then has attempted to further their martial art by means that they see fit eg: more schools, less schools, no junk students, quality control, continuation of tradition etc etc...

I never really thought of ethnicity as an issue.

Rick :karate: :up:

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK

Same here,

As well as other terms for the other practitioners of the same school. Yes, si gong (shi gong) can be translated to grandfather. Hence, in a Chinese school, on the heirarchy of a family structure. This is where DM culd be saying that there isn't really a term or character for "master"

If I can state, that actually si (shi) the sound like a "sh" or "zh" can translate itself as teacher. In Mandarin, the translation could be many-temple-monastery,four, to die, to resemble....fu, taken on many others, louh, or old.

Now, I will happily receive other info on this because my experience is restricted to Mandarin with conflict between PinYin and WadeGiles.

DM, this is where (in one of many) I am curious about your post.

Could be as simple as earning a certain rank (usually 4th Dan)......but really.....it should be based on your ability to "do", and of course....depth of knowledge

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"