• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To strike or to grapple

there's that assumption again... grappling does not imply "grappling on the ground" I can throw him on his head and knock him out. Or, just restrain. depends on the situation. Grappling does not have to be on the ground though. Also, and here's the big plus - what happens if you DO go down? the grappler is better apt to either

1. finish it on the ground, or

2. get back to his feet.

I assumed someone would assume that :)

Lets just say, everywhere I've seen grappling applied, they end up on the floor.

I wonder how many posts this has got left in it before it disolves into your bog standard grappling vs striking riot.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was quite clear that BJJ'ers are NOT allowed to strike when in a fight? It would also be difficult since all we're allowed to do is pull guard and stall for 30 minutes on end.

yea, in a bjj tournament. but if you train in bjj and you know how to get to a mount, its pretty easy to know how to punch a guy from there. so by training in grappling, you know how to get to a good ground position to strike.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was quite clear that BJJ'ers are NOT allowed to strike when in a fight? It would also be difficult since all we're allowed to do is pull guard and stall for 30 minutes on end.

yea, in a bjj tournament. but if you train in bjj and you know how to get to a mount, its pretty easy to know how to punch a guy from there. so by training in grappling, you know how to get to a good ground position to strike.

I was being incredibly sarcastic towards the common conception of BJJ fighters.