• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting in learning

Python

Actually, maybe the problem here is the term "basic". I think most people hear the word "basic" and infer that it means "simple" or "easy". That's the problem.

A "basic" punch in karate involves an incredible amount of technique (assuming technique can be quantified).

In order to throw a "basic" punch, here's what you need to know (and I'm sure others will correct and add to this):

-how to make a proper fist, tight so the fingers won't break, wrist straight in line with the forearm so the wrist won't break, striking with the first two knuckles

-fist should start on hip with elbow pulled back to center of back

-inhale before starting the punch and focus on target

-strike out straight from the hip, moving slightly to the front of your body as you strike the CENTER of your target, wrist straight, fist tight, exhaling as you punch

-focus 6 inches behind your target and squeeze your muscles as you push through the last 6 inches, keep head up, don't lean forward

-rotate fist from palm up position to palm down through the punch

Oh forget it, the list goes on and on and on.

My point is, all that is for a "basic" punch. And if you want to do it properly, you have to have an instructor teach you, repeatedly, over many months, if not years.

Let's not even get started on a basic kick.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. I have had instructors who'd tell me there were no "basics" in karate and those that would tell me that there were no "advanced techniques" in karate. Basically, there point was that if you were going to do anything, you have to do it right. An advanced technique is merely a higher level of the basics, as the name implies. Therefore an advanced technique shouldn't be any more difficult to achieve, it is merely your perspective that changes. If this is true, then that means that there are no "basics" because even those require dedication and correct training to perform properly...a game of semantics but an important concept nonetheless...

For more on the punch, see the "punching" post...i've got a rather lengthy post on a "basic" technique...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

My point is, all that is for a "basic" punch. And if you want to do it properly, you have to have an instructor teach you, repeatedly, over many months, if not years.

Let's not even get started on a basic kick.

I think it was Kanazawa Sensei who said that it takes 3 years to learn how to do a basic punch properly and 15 years to learn how to do a basic kick properly.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think he is maybe falling into the same 'trap' that many people in western society fall into; instant gratification.

It's the "I want it all, right now" attitude. Granted, this individual seems to recognize that every aspect of a martial art cannot be learned over the internet. However, he still seems to think that he can attain something cool and useful that way. Many people look at martial arts and think "Cool, I would be so deadly if I could do that!" We've all thought it at one time or another, usually long before we ever start training and realize the truth of martial arts.

This guy is making his request SEEM reasonable ("I just want to learn basics") but I think his motivation is the same. He wants to learn something cool and make himself into a better "fighter" (see my post The Street Fighter Excuse), but he doesn't want to take the time or discipline required to attain it. He wants it the quick and easy way. I can easily see this guy going to school or work or whatever, and claiming to be a pretty good fighter because of the tactics he has "trained" in, even though those tactics might have been a couple of hours in front of the computer monitor watching kata videos.

I guess it's a kind of laziness. He wants it now, and he wants it without any effort. He knows he can't have it all, but he wants enough to be able to claim to be better than the average joe.

There is a severe lack of discipline in our society.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

I think he is maybe falling into the same 'trap' that many people in western society fall into; instant gratification.

It's the "I want it all, right now" attitude. Granted, this individual seems to recognize that every aspect of a martial art cannot be learned over the internet. However, he still seems to think that he can attain something cool and useful that way. Many people look at martial arts and think "Cool, I would be so deadly if I could do that!" We've all thought it at one time or another, usually long before we ever start training and realize the truth of martial arts.

This guy is making his request SEEM reasonable ("I just want to learn basics") but I think his motivation is the same. He wants to learn something cool and make himself into a better "fighter" (see my post The Street Fighter Excuse), but he doesn't want to take the time or discipline required to attain it. He wants it the quick and easy way. I can easily see this guy going to school or work or whatever, and claiming to be a pretty good fighter because of the tactics he has "trained" in, even though those tactics might have been a couple of hours in front of the computer monitor watching kata videos.

I guess it's a kind of laziness. He wants it now, and he wants it without any effort. He knows he can't have it all, but he wants enough to be able to claim to be better than the average joe.

There is a severe lack of discipline in our society.

Wap

Very nicely written

just to let you know - i dont want to join any classes simply because im not that serious about it and i dont have the time. im i my last year of school now so coursework takes up a lot of my time, then i got x amount of websites to run...

Im just interesting in it because it would give me a small fairly regular train out. Im deffinatly interested in fitness and am looking for a little something to add to my training sessions.

I dont want to take it up seriously and most probably never will. I just would like to learn some moves so if I ever get into a fight in or outside of school i will know how to beat him whilst under control and still focused instead of going crazy and attacking from all over the place.

If you're interested in fitness, take up running, cycling, swimming, indoor rowing or skipping, all of which give you a good Cardiovascular workout.

As everyone has said, karate is just too complex (even in its basics) to learn solo from books and videos - you need a good instructoir to point out the correct way to perform techniques, and then you need to put in hours (and days, weeks, months and years) of practice to perfect those techniques.

Even with a good instructor, you can learn the techniques incorrectly if you don't pay attention to detail, and practice them accurately. I would say it would probably be impossible to learn from a video or book.

If your aim is to learn techniques for self defence, then you are going to have to practice with somebody else, otherwise you will never experience what your techniques are like when you apply them to a real human being, and you will never train your reflexes to cope in a real life situation (where someone else is coming at you, punching, kicking or stabbing). In fact, it might even be dangerous to delude yourself into thinking you had learnt something that you could actually use in a real life self defence situation!

If you really want to learn karate, find a good dojo.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)