Python

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad, you have good hand-eye coordination. There are some things you want to work on. If you don't really care about the practical application, then feel free to disregard the following:

You hold it very close to the chain, which in most traditional circles, is wrong. In order to generate more power and to use the varying grappling techniques associated with the weapon, the nunchaku should be held towards the bottom of each flail.

When passing under or over your shoulder, you don't (but you should). You have a tendency to shortcut the movement so that it wraps around your upper arm rather than under or over your shoulder. Wrapping it around your shoulder gives it the proper "wrap-length" so that it ends up naturally in your hand (towards the bottom) and allows you to set up the next movement properly. It is my opinion that most of the over-the-shoulder-passes and the like techniques are meant to get you accustomed to the weapon and be able to transition quickly if you miss or it bounces off and opponent (obviously you wouldn't just stand there and spin them in a fight). This critique holds true for most of your wrapping techniques around the body or hand transitions using those positions (I just didn't feel like listing every one).

When you spin them in the figure eight or its variations (with the exception of a few places), your flails are not in a straight line (they should be). This allows for proper power transfer during a technique. Anything else makes it easy to take from you.

Last constructive critique is that in quite a few places, it appeared that you were using your elbow for a lot of your manipulations as opposed to your wrist. For the techniques you were doing and how you were doing them, the wrist should be emphasized even more (generating speed as opposed to pure striking power...even in my traditional style we use the wrist a lot since the emphasis is more upon the grappling techniques, even though we include the solid strikes as well)

For the most part, you didn't look at your hands and your head was stationary. That's a good thing.

Once again, don't get me wrong. Your stuff looked really good, it was just lacking in a few application based areas. If that isn't your focus, then just take this as an interesting commentary (I hope). If you wish to focus on both looking cool and being practical, then please consider some of the things I wrote...

Anyone else with more practical nunchaku training, please correct me if I am mistaken in any of my comments or bring up anything I missed...

Lastly, I am critiquing you based on a video, which is even more difficult with the nunchaku...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I agree with everything Shorin Ryuu said, but I think if Python wants to be ably to use the nunchaku as a weapon he's going to have to shift his thinking a bit. First of all what is there to strike at the level that he is swinging? If he strikes would it actually stop someone? What does spinning the nunchaku in small circles really do to an opponent? I understand the reason he swings so low is probably because he got tired of hitting his head, but this wouldn't be a problem if he were extending further away from his body and using his hips a bit. You see the real problem is that I don't think Python is really trying to figure out how to use this tool as a weapon. Which is fine. But I just don't understand why one would come to a martial weapon forum to show off juggling.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Well, I'm older than most of the people on this forum, and been in the arts longer than many on here have been alive, so I'll add as a "disclaimer" that I'm not even going to attempt to be politically correct and "nice" about my comments.

This young man, talented as he is in twirling, is on a martial arts forum, asking martial artists what we think of his martial arts technique...so here's mine.

I think if you want to become a twirler in a marching band..you look GREAT! If however, you are trying to pass off twirling a nunchaku around like your video's depict, and think you're doing good, REAL technique, you are terribly misguided and misinformed as to what good technique is.

If this was a twirling forum, you'll no doubt get much more favorable responses....but then again, I wouldn't be in here either. If my comments offend you just remember, you asked for our opinions. Perhaps you might want to consider joining a reputable martials arts school, and learning good, solid and bone shattering nunchaku technique. Either that, or find someone to teach you twirling a baton so at least you might make some money as a twirler in a marching band.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

OK you got yourself all loosened up now show us a few kihone or how about a kata.Show us some blocks and strikes.What stances do you use in your practice?Do you use hip to generate power?Do you practice for accuracy?Do you train with a makiwara so you will know what actual contact will be like?I am sure there is probably a forum for what you are doing but this is not it.Try "Toys Are Us"

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

Python,

pretty cool. Do you also use the sai? I'm been looking for sai videos on the web and have only found a couple with sai katas. I'd like to find a video that shows you how to do that that flashy flipping stuff.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Well...if you want flashy impractical stuff...look up Daredevil...(never saw the movie but saw one of the characters holding a sai in a manner that would leave them missing quite a few fingers if ever used in a fight...)

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/