• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have also heard of this but dont practice it myself.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have to test and pay for your white belt, I think you're being robbed. If they just want to make sure you're going to stick with it before they award you with a belt, that's different.

But your white belt is symbolic for your clean slate (like you guys don't know that) and we always stripe them up as our students learn the basic stances, blocks, and kicks, so they can see what they've learned. They test when they have 3 stripes on their belt (for the stances, blocks, and kicks)...

Stripe up a white belt? Are there "fees" to stripe em?

:o Are you serious? If we wanted to rip people off we'd just give them a no belt start and make them pay for their white belt! :roll: There is a school in our area that DOES charge for stripes on belts (and they don't just stripe white, they stripe EVERY belt)...but they also have an "accelerated black belt path" if that tells you anything about their curriculum.

No fees until they test for yellow...

Wow, I feel picked on and don't believe I said anything to deserve it... :-?

https://www.karatebarn.com

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13

stripes, like electrical tape on the ends of their belts so they can see how far they've progressed.....

wow.

Polkadots would be cute, wouldn't they? :roll:

Yes, I had seen the "tacky" electrical tape. Why is there a need to keep adding on visual levels of progression? Is there a scoiety that the learning/training alone is not satisfactory?

I tend to "shy" away from those "construction stripes"

The "Orient", does seem to be "bothered" by this. To further explain, bothered-meaning using or needing these many colors/stripes.

Hmm,

Instructing kids is certainly different from instructing adults who can recoginze when they are progressing. Kids NEED that visual confirmation that they're doing well...If you'd like to criticize, feel free...I don't have to answer to you (thank goodness, I'd probably never get anything right then!). I teach taekwondo because I love it and want to share it with everyone I can...not because I want to please people like you.

We'll not mention the views/morals/standards held in the orient versus those held in the Americas...Eastern thoughts and ideals far surpass anything we could imagine here, and they are a much more respcectful and peaceful people than we. Americans like to see progression, and see it quickly...otherwise they will quit. Orientals learn for the pure sake of learning and bettering themselves, even without a quick outcome (I certainly do wish I could have their patience)...(oh, and I'm talking about the 'old school' orientals, just for clarification).

Unfortunately I am not in the orient, I am in the Americas and if I intend to teach and be accepted here, I have to do some things the 'western' way rather than the 'eastern' way.

https://www.karatebarn.com

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13

47martialman...

what you're talking about (several stripes on gup ranks) is referred to as a "tip test" and can actually be very handy from a teacher's perspective.

Let's say you have... 75 orange belts. I know it's a lot, but I like big numbers. :)

All of them have to be responsilble for a certain amount of knowledge before green belt, correct? Are you going to remember what all 75 orange belts know and don't know? Not to mention the other ranks.

So what you might do is give them a stripe when you know they know their required techniques, another for their hyungs, another for one-steps. Etc. You may have a "test" one day in class in which you see who is at what level, and give out stripes accordingly.

NOW, you could also be evil and charge for these "tip tests" but I wouldn't personally. When I first heard about it, I think I rolled my eyes and made a gagging noise, but when you think about it from a business/organizational perspective, it's a pretty cool idea.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

We'll not mention the views/morals/standards held in the orient versus those held in the Americas...Eastern thoughts and ideals far surpass anything we could imagine here, and they are a much more respcectful and peaceful people than we.

I think a look at the history books will show Eastern civilizations to be just as nasty, brutal, and well.... human as Western.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

47martialman...

what you're talking about (several stripes on gup ranks) is referred to as a "tip test" and can actually be very handy from a teacher's perspective.

Let's say you have... 75 orange belts. I know it's a lot, but I like big numbers. :)

All of them have to be responsilble for a certain amount of knowledge before green belt, correct? Are you going to remember what all 75 orange belts know and don't know? Not to mention the other ranks.

So what you might do is give them a stripe when you know they know their required techniques, another for their hyungs, another for one-steps. Etc. You may have a "test" one day in class in which you see who is at what level, and give out stripes accordingly.

NOW, you could also be evil and charge for these "tip tests" but I wouldn't personally. When I first heard about it, I think I rolled my eyes and made a gagging noise, but when you think about it from a business/organizational perspective, it's a pretty cool idea.

I actually do tip testing myself...it is an excellent tool.

I take the stripes off, rather than put them on, though. It's all in how you spin it, but the kids view getting the tip off as an accomplishment/reward, and strive to learn what is needed to take them off.

I do it that way, because it is easier for me to look around at the tips that are still there to know who needs work on what area than it would be to figure out which ones are missing.

There are someout there who charge fees for this, but I agree that that is ridiculous.

It is actually a way for me to ensure that people don't get charged to test when they aren't ready and could potentially fail.