• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We start everyone with no belt even a white belt has to be earned

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."

I've never heard of "no belt", but then everything is different for each school. If you are a no belt, how do you keep your gi top closed? :)

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.

I've heard of "no belt" before when you start (I don't do it however). Do they charge test fee's to go from no belt to white belt? If so, it's probably an excuse to get more money out of you.

The same thing applies sometimes if they have 10 below black belt ranks, but have stripes for different levels of the same colored belt. It's often times used to get more testing fee's. It's often a good sign of a McDojo also. Let the buyer beware.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

When I used to teach full time, I used to do this.

I would make them earn their white belt. It usually took them around 3 classes. I would basically just see what they're ability to learn and retain was, once they learned a few basics, and couple stances, and the first quarter of the first basic form, then I would promote them to 10th gup white. I wanted them to understand that they always had to earn everything, and not to expect any handouts.

I've seen this done before, and it is a good idea, I think. Students start out in a begginers class, or a probationary period. They don't have to buy a uniform, so they can go a couple of months and see if they want to stay with it before investing too much. Also, the instructorgets to see if they want to keep the person as a student, and when they join the regular class they at least have an idea about some of the basics and don't feel so out of place. They are promoted into the regular class and given their white belt, so they have more of a feeling of accomplishment and belonging.

Freedom isn't free!