• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good and bad of your style.

He does a demo that he calls the "dance of pain", wherein he literally toys with someone and moves them all over the mat...up and down, left, right, back , forth, and actually gives a lecture at the same time. Truly amazing to watch.

I've seen Datu Kelly Worden do that with lock flows. He usually picks the biggest guy in the class, lets him attack, then immediately counters with a joint lock. That in itself is impressive enough. There are very few who can reliably apply a joint lock without first setting up their opponent. Then Datu proceeds to lecture, turning and casually making eye contact with the entire class, answering questions sometimes, looking for all the world like a college prof giving a lecture and almost paying no attention to his victim as he goes through the lock flow. Meanwhile, the poor guy is floping all over the place. When he does it, it's worth the price of his seminar just for the opportunity to see that!

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess its all relative really....for example, we can toy with color belts in the same way he can toy with us......in time, hopefully, we can reach that level.....but for now....it is cool as hell to watch him perform.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Hes about 80 yrs old so, its been a long time since he had a "senior"

Of course there is.....but during his demos, hes does invite san dan and higher to attack full force, and he literally toys with them....as I said...it is amazing to watch.

May i just impart that there is a degree of 'respect' which goes along with these sort of demonstrations. I was an uke for a few similar-type demonstrations, in which the instructor would have me perform an action and he would then put me in a partial lock, sufficient to allow me to switch, at which point he in turn switches, and the game continues with him moving me around seemingly under full control.

The thing here is, i cooperated at a subconscious level, because of my previous training and my having 'respect' being hammered into my head over a long period of time via training.

However, in a similar demonstration in a wing chun school, i did not cooperate, and in fact countered. I was later treated like crap by the demonstrator, for having messed up his little 'exploitive' demo. At that particular time, i was somewhat rebelling against the continued b.s. so many people were presenting, and it was a period in my history in which i had little tolerance for tricks and exploitive demos. Since then, i've come to hold a grain of salt in my mouth whenever i watch such things... knowing full well that such things work 'because' the uke cooperates at a subconscious level.

My thoughts.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

May i just impart that there is a degree of 'respect' which goes along with these sort of demonstrations. I was an uke for a few similar-type demonstrations, in which the instructor would have me perform an action and he would then put me in a partial lock, sufficient to allow me to switch, at which point he in turn switches, and the game continues with him moving me around seemingly under full control.

The thing here is, i cooperated at a subconscious level, because of my previous training and my having 'respect' being hammered into my head over a long period of time via training.

However, in a similar demonstration in a wing chun school, i did not cooperate, and in fact countered. I was later treated like crap by the demonstrator, for having messed up his little 'exploitive' demo. At that particular time, i was somewhat rebelling against the continued b.s. so many people were presenting, and it was a period in my history in which i had little tolerance for tricks and exploitive demos. Since then, i've come to hold a grain of salt in my mouth whenever i watch such things... knowing full well that such things work 'because' the uke cooperates at a subconscious level.

My thoughts.

That is along some of my sentiments when I see such demos. And the same for Chi demos.

I will agree with WW.....there is a degree of "cooperation" that does occur in some of these demos....thenagain....there are some masters...Wally Jay being one of them...that do not need cooperation.....and as MM said, the same can be said for chi masters.