• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good and bad of your style.

2.) Though, I know, katas won't save you in the real world.

Darn, that's my training down the drain, then!

I was hoping to do a 'Karate Kid 3' thing if I ever got into a real fight and do a kata on my opponent...

lol, j/k.

I love kata and I think it has a place in MA training. However, that's another matter...

Parkerlineage, thank you for your thoughts on TKD.

It is always nice to be able to have martial artists that can point out the PRO's of another style, as well as the negatives.

Too often Martial Artists can get wrapped up in the whole 'my style is the best, yours is just rubbish' way of thinking and miss the fact that other arts DO have a lot to offer.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

batt, aef, why so surprised? That's the AK training, comin' thru! Besides, we're all too busy arguing amongst ourselves about how Ed Parker really taught it to argue with other stylists. :roll: :lol:

Freedom isn't free!

"katas won´t save you in the real world"

Katas, if practiced correctly and the way they were meant to, and incorporated in an authentic martial arts curriculum, will help to save you in the real world.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

Aikido ...

pros -

• good workout

flexibility

you lose the fear of being thrown around like a rag doll

overall control of your center

generally good combat theory

good throws, which is nice for multi person randori

cons -

• unrealistic attacks

no atemi (striking) is taught

limited range - standing grappling - no extension to other ranges

no crossover scenarios (how to handle kicks, takedowns, etc)

I dunno ... maybe the first rank in aikido should be based on learning some simple strikes and blocks to introduce the idea of entering / intercepting, etc. Then, incorporate groundwork if for no other reason than to show people how to avoid it or get up quickly ... it just never felt like a well rounded MA to me. It does have its good points, though ...

WHOA !!!! ........"katas wont save you in the real world"..........the true secrets to the system you are studying are found within the kata.......learning the sequence of movements doesnt mean you "know" the kata.......you must learn bunkai, kaisai, and oyo, and ...two man forms if you have them.....then you "know" the kata.......and then.....you know the secrets.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

batt, aef, why so surprised? That's the AK training, comin' thru! Besides, we're all too busy arguing amongst ourselves about how Ed Parker really taught it to argue with other stylists. :roll: :lol:

:lol:

Still, whether it's just an AK trait or not, it is nice to hear TKD being praised by a non-practicioner (even if it is because you're too busy with the in-fighting to see what other stylists are doing) :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

TKD.....yes....it is a great fighting system.....one of the things that Ive noticed though, is that unless the practicioner has been trained in Hapkido as well, they generally seem to be "lost" when the fight gets to the "inside".....I dont train TKD at all....but its just an observation....and if Im wrong about that.....I apologize.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Besides, we're all too busy arguing amongst ourselves about how Ed Parker really taught it to argue with other stylists.

hahaha, ain't that the truth.

Seriously though, TKD seems to be okay to me. I live in Northern California, waaaaaaay north, so I don't get a whole lot of culture. Therefore, not many styles; I've never heard of Wing Chun before.

I know nothing about the style, but I'm pretty good buddies with the local Aiekedo Master. He's cool. Much older than me, but cool.

Katas won't save you in the real world

Let me explain myself. Katas are sequences of techniques, techinques are sequences of moves. Within Katas, you discover the ties between the techniques, and the principles behind what you are doing. With techniques, you discover possible applications for the moves that you learn as you advance. With sparring, you learn the direct application for the majority of these moves. Katas, while they will teach you the secrets of your style and broaden your knowledge, there's no way in **** you're ever going to be able to do Long Form 5 on somebody. Parts, yes. The whole thing, no.

Another Kenpo dude!>?!?! No way!! What rank, delta1?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Let me explain myself. Katas are sequences of techniques, techinques are sequences of moves. Within Katas, you discover the ties between the techniques, and the principles behind what you are doing. With techniques, you discover possible applications for the moves that you learn as you advance. With sparring, you learn the direct application for the majority of these moves. Katas, while they will teach you the secrets of your style and broaden your knowledge, there's no way in **** you're ever going to be able to do Long Form 5 on somebody. Parts, yes. The whole thing, no.

Again, that's your AK comeing out. Our forms mosty expand on your 'dictionary of motion' and understanding of basics and principles. At higher levels, they also teach borrowing and technique flow. The heart of our system is in the techniques, which in AK are like 'mini katas'. Some other systems teach techniques as one or two basic moves, and their kata

is where it is put together and applied. Either way, you have to not only learn the moves, but then tear them apart and restructure them until you have a deep, intimate understanding of thei principles, concepts, and applications and variants.

Another Kenpo dude!>?!?! No way!! What rank, delta1?

Grey. I'm not on the belt ststem in AK. I work out here, and travel for private instruction. I'm a member of the AKTS, which is what I study now. I've also done some AKKS and Tracy's. I've learned some of the techniques a half dozen ways in base form! And I recently started IKCA Chinese Kenpo, which is still Parker based, but they do some basics differently. All their techniques are different too. I've worked a lot with other stylists, and studied a couple of other systems. But Kenpo is my base.

There are a few of us here, as well as a few of our Kempo cousins.

Freedom isn't free!