• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

battousai16,

Good luck with your first Wing Chun class.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

There are always pro's and con's, no style is perfect. For example take a style like Krav Maga; probably the best style around for self defence but has no sporting aspect, pro and con.

I hate it when ppl say their style is perfect, perfection is well over-used!

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Krav Maga is one of the best styles of self defense to give you results in a relatively short period of time.

As far as longer term training is concerned (5years or more) however I would put my money on authentic karate styles such as Goju-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu or of course kung fu styles including Shaolin Five Animales, Praying Mantis and of course Wing Chun.

Of course non of the styles mentioned above are perfect just different and each one good in its own way.

Just my opinion.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

you can read about it in the 4 page wing chun thread over in chinese styles. the short of it is i'm pitiful at it, but it was still great fun :)

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

the short of it is i'm pitiful at it, but it was still great fun :)

Ditto!

Oh well, we can be pitiful at it together... :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

There are certainly no "perfect" styles, and one person can excel at a style that another person might not be able to figure out at all.

You didn't think you'd get an argument about that?... From this bunch? :D

Ed ParkerAmerican Kenpo.

What's Good:

1. Fast hand-speed: Good lord the high-level guys can hit you a lot, and they all hurt. :)

2. Fairly solid focus on real-world self-defense:... And as you progress in belt-level, it builds on the original "book form" techniques to encompass all the imperfections of real-world fighting.

Pretty much agree. Add to that it is ballanced, well rounded, and practical. I also like the teaching/training method, useing techniques, and its focus on understanding principles and concepts. AK flows, but can utilize static moves as well.

What needs help:

1. Lack of ground-work/grappling.

I agree. Mr. Parker was (I've heard) working on this when he died. There are ground applications in many of the techniques, but the principles must be modified somewhat to use them. I'd like to get a solid understanding of Pancration and Sambo, and maybe BJJ, then come back to Kenpo and see how a grappling carriculum could be developed and incorporated into the system.

Freedom isn't free!