• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know what the origins of the kiya

However, our sensei does talk about kime, and spirit. Perhaps they are the same thing? I honestly don't know enough about it. We are taught that a kiya brings focus and power to a punch, kick, whatever. Whether that's simply because you are breathing properly and expelling your breath in a sharp exhalation, or whether that's because you are focusing your ki, I don't know. I know it's more than simply a shout though.

One thing I always thought was interesting, and kind of cool, was when our head instructor said that sometimes a student will kiya during a kata at the "wrong" time. He believes there is no wrong time to kiya. While a kata does have specific points for the kiya to happen, he believes that when we kiya by accident (a true kiya, that seems to just happen without even thinking about it), it simply means that we have focused and released our power during that move. He says that when it just seems to sneak out, that's a sign that we're starting to let our spirit, or kime, release during a move.

Anyway, I'm not really an authority on kiyas, ki or kime, but those are the things I've come to understand in my brief 2 years of training. I'm sure I'll learn so much more as the years go by.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

Kime is "focus", but as you indicated in regards to kata and Kiah....there are specific places in kata that call for a kiah.....what your teacher says about it "sneaking out" is true also....you are simply letting your body and spirit do what it needs to....you have apparently built up energy that needs to be expelled....sometimes it just happens.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

A kiah, if properly done, also helps you "lock up" as you strike.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Does it now? I have seen people not lock up but are faster and more powerful. Hmnnn.......

Well, the confusion is based on the blurring of kiai to that of yells/shouts/exhales. Kiai is 'one' expression of a shout, that can be presented in numerous ways... but generally only for the purpose of making a committed 'strike.' In that, an eventual locking up helps to deliver a stronger base, which in turn provides a more focused strike. I subconsciously use other noises to assist in performing other actions, as do many people. The lockdown and slow grainy sounds emitted when lifting, for example, or the loud exhalation for a deep open hand push. Each serves to assist in focus, by generating a concerted effort of the body (and mind) into one action.

The problem with kiai, and other shouts, is that it can also significantly interfere with fluidity and, if inappropriately applied, can lock you up to doing stupid television-like pauses.

So... what was this thread about again? :P

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro