Are your kids in TaeKwonDo?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of my kids are in TKD. They started almost 2 yrs ago and were 6 & 7 yrs old at the time. They are at purple belt now.

Res firma, mitescere nescit

My wife and I started shortly after my two boys started. One was 4 and one was 6. The younger is now a 4th dan. The older one has been in and out a few times and is still a 1st dan. My wife left at red belt. My daughter started at age 4 and is now a 2nd dan.

Read all about it here: http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/mafit.htm

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

My wife and I started shortly after my two boys started. One was 4 and one was 6. The younger is now a 4th dan. The older one has been in and out a few times and is still a 1st dan. My wife left at red belt. My daughter started at age 4 and is now a 2nd dan.

Read all about it here: http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/mafit.htm

Looking at that website Kicks, you and your kids started in 1993..right? 11 years ago? And your youngest, if my math is correct, was 4 at the time, so is 15 now..and a 4th Dan black belt? Tell me it isn't so?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

...so is 15 now...Tell me it isn't so?

It's not so. He's 16, not 15. :)

I think the school we attend promotes quickly, but they do follow WFT standards as far as time goes, if not age. He obtained 4th no quicker than an adult would, and is the youngest fro the school to be promoted that high. Many people would argue that minors shouldn't even wear a black belt so I know his rank shocks people. But I have no say. We love the school and it's people. Its a family and we want to stay. That means we accept the rules. And the rules are that when the Master Instructors say that you are ready to test, then you test. And trust me..they don't make it easy.

I don't want to feel like I have to build a case for him, but I also don't want you to think him unworthy. I've seen him exceed many of the adults (me included) in his knowledge and ability. He has learned and mastered all 98 sparring combinations, 98 Hapkido combinations, 20 one-steps, broken all 14 board breaks, and learned about 40 forms (Chang-Hon, the TaeGuek, and the Palgwe family of forms and then some), and written a thesis at each black belt advancement. He is an instructor and helps me teach Hapkido, Olympic Sparring, and Self-Defense seminars at other schools and businesses too. He is a many times State Champion in forms and Olympic sparring and a National Champion in Olympic sparring. I tell, you..the kid knows his stuff and it's practical application.

And what's scary..his younger sister is better than he was at her age!

I've seen this age debate many, many times. I get hate mail from my website from people who think we 'bought' our belts, I get people who want me to fly to where they live to prove our worth. I hopeing I don't have to deal with that here. This place have been very good to me, so far.

You can view our 4th dan test at

http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/test/mafit4dan.htm

Edited by Kicks

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

My five year old son started around 3 months ago. My three year old son cant wait, but I will hold him off till five also. I find it easier to get your kids involved at a young age when they see a parent doing it. My wife also takes but can not spar due to a past neck injury so she is just in it for the health benefits (which are many).

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."

[quoteI don't want to feel like I have to build a case for him, but I also don't want you to think him unworthy. I've seen him exceed many of the adults (me included) in his knowledge and ability. He has learned and mastered all 98 sparring combinations, 98 Hapkido combinations, 20 one-steps, broken all 14 board breaks, and learned about 40 forms (Chang-Hon, the TaeGuek, and the Palgwe family of forms and then some), and written a thesis at each black belt advancement. He is an instructor and helps me teach Hapkido, Olympic Sparring, and Self-Defense seminars at other schools and businesses too. He is a many times State Champion in forms and Olympic sparring and a National Champion in Olympic sparring. I tell, you..the kid knows his stuff and it's practical application.

Don't get me wrong kicks..what you do in yoru dojo is your business, and I can either agree, or disagree with it. Personally, I don't think there is a 16 yr old kid on the planet that has the maturity to go along with what a 4th Dan black belt represents. Yes, he may know the movements and recite verbatum what he has learned..but does he really understand it is my concern?

Question: You list his winning this and that tournament...are those exclusively TKD tournaments, or are they open tournaments (any system can enter)? The reason I ask is that I had sort of this same discussion with a local TKD school here a few years ago, where one of the instructers senior black belts was pounding his chest telling me how much they dominated at All TKD Tournaments. I asked him if he'd ever entered an Open Tournament, and he replied "My instructor won't let us go to open tournaments because he says we would dominate all of the events, and they wouldn't invite us back again." I kid you not people, that's what he told me. I suggested he attend a tournament the next month about 240 miles from here and afterwards, tell me the same thing. I was a judge/referree at that tournament, and this black belt actually came (he didn't tell his instructor though). The guy lost every match he fought in, and I think hardly scored a point) and didn't fair well in the kata competiton. Afterwards, he told me he thought the tournament was rigged against him. :roll:

Anyway Kicks, have you and your son competed in open, all styles, tournaments? I'm just wondering.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I mentioned the tournaments just to round off his/our expierence. But yes, he has competed in open tournaments where any style is invited. The annual tournament our dojang sponsors is open to all styles. We've had Kartae and Kung Fu students participate. It's makes for an exciting tournament. I enjoy seeing the different forms and seeing how the judges are going to score a hard style versus a soft style.

Remember "...what a 4th Dan black belt represents..." could be different from one style to another, one system to another, one opinion to another. If there is a universal written rule encompassing all styles and systems, and accepted by all, then that is what we should all be measured. Until I know of such, I will not judge another's style or beliefs. I will respect your art and encourage your practice.

My kids are white belt, 2 will test for gold next week, after the holiday.

My son is 11 yr.

My oldest daughter is 9.

My youngest daughter is 6.

Since my OD is also in soccer, she doesn't spend as much time in the dojang, and will miss this testing.

My YD is the surprise for even the instructors. She was having a hard time with it, but with some individual attention at the start, she is now excelling and is really better than me.