• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional TaeKwonDo

uh..i didnt say it was flashy.Im just saying my master would teach us to do better in tournements rather to show us how to handle ourselves in a real fight.

There is no flashy moves that ive seen in tkd,and so what? some people in my class try to make kicks look fancy,and end up gettin their * kicked in sparring.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uh..i didnt say it was flashy.Im just saying my master would teach us to do better in tournements rather to show us how to handle ourselves in a real fight.

There is no flashy moves that ive seen in tkd,and so what? some people in my class try to make kicks look fancy,and end up gettin their * kicked in sparring.

That's because if you particpate and/or win tournaments, you are, in a "round about" way, advertising for him and the school.

I'm still reserving my judgement of our school. Being a lowly white belt, its hard to determine how much of our teaching is sport vs combat. I know that one instructor always goes over self-defense, knife defense, boxing drills, etc. The other teaches drills, kick drills,etc. I do see how some of this could help in a fight, but I'm concerned at green belt (when we start sparring), that the focus is going to be on competition and sport vs self defense.

asynk,

Thus is the case from a instructor's view that the youth dsire the "sport" of it.

Howver, when you get to a higher ranking, request that tou desire more defense vs. sport.

I am sure he will accomodate your needs/request.