Traditional TaeKwonDo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to TKD but already this subject has come up in my mind. I studied Juko-Ryu Ju Jutsu for about a year. There we did joint locks, takedowns, throws, etc. What I consider to me alot more self-defense and combat oriented. TKD seems to be alot more sport oriented. I watched a tounrament this saturday and I can say I'm not interested in sparring for points. Can someone help me feel better about doing this? I don't see the application of this. Would any sparring skills be useful in self-defense or is it not meant to be self-defense in nature? I love our instructors and I am enjoying class, but I don't want a black belt in something if it's not going to mean I can defend myself ANY better than being untrained.

I think what alot of people dont realize about TKD and some of the other striking arts is that the self defense aspect comes in the form of One Steps and Self Defense maneuvers...in that you really need to find an instructor that will drill you on it more and you will become effective. There is no attack, IMHO, that a person can make that can't be beaten with a strike as well as a grapple. It's just basically what you feel comfortable with on a certain defense. If you are at a tkd school that you feel does not do enough SD find another one...unfortunately TKD schools have a gigantic range of what they focus on...from pure sport to very hard core self defense. You will probably find that the sport schools will be very much more common however. I am not sure and someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think tkd schools do Ho Shin Sool which is the self defense stuff. If thats not the correct term then its something similar...I hope :D ...anyway if you want a school that teaches self defense your just gonna have to look around, they are out there. And remember this last bit it doesnt really matter how you spar...if you are getting some form of contact versus a thinking moving partner you are learning. You are doing the regular techniques and forms in class over and over and thats what really determines what you can do.

Long Live the Fighters!

please correct me if I'm wrong but I think tkd schools do Ho Shin Sool which is the self defense stuff.

Most of the TKD schools I am familiar with have one steps. Mine, and a few others, incorporate Hapkido as a major part of the program.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Talk about how TaeKwonDo has been changed and looked as a sport rather than an art. Also what is the meaning of TaeKwonDo to you?

sorry if im going off topic for you guys,but i just wanted to reply to The Ones comment.

Yeah its true TKD has turned more of a sport than martial art.Even my Master concitrates more on me and other students to be better fighters.He doesnt really care if you get the self defense moves right(grapples),and just wants us to be readie for tournements.See what the USA does to our art when its an olympic event?! :kaioken: haha jp jp

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

I found this the case with SOME other arts away from US

Like science? math? language? etc.. :-?

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes