• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

martial art shoes

should any school allow you to wear martial art shoes? i was wondering cause truthfully i have a slight bit of nail fungus on one of my big toes and i would find it rather embarrasing to be in there barefoot?

Martial Arts USA

TALIUM - THE SPIRIT OF TAEKWONDO

https://www.talium4me.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shoe have no place in the dojo or dojang. use some tape on your feet. besides wood floors toughen up your feet and that is a good thing imo.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Manuelito no offense but you are WRONG! When I took hapkido I was encouraged to wear shoes because some of their kicks are much more effective with them on. In addition most real fights will take place with your shoes on not barefoot. And as a shoe wearer I can tell you from personal experience that its much more difficult to execute spinning kicks with the added resistance on your feet. I have diabetic neuropathy so eventually due to a doctors insistance, who oddly enough also does tkd, I bought a pair. It was not a problem with either my hapkido or my taekwondo school especially since it was for a medical reason. I personally would not go to a school that didn't allow me to wear shoes if I chose to now. BTW i bought a pair of Discipline shoes...usually my sweat rips the soles of a shoe out in short order these are hanging tough. My only complaint is a rubber insert on the bottom is starting to peel...but I think I can just use some shoe glue and it will be fine. Bottom line Sick is that if you want to wear shoes, especially if theres a medical reason, you should be allowed to do so.

Long Live the Fighters!

I have not tried Otomix personally however I have heard good things about them. I just wanted to add that I do however have 2 Otomix TKD baseball hats that are good quality> :D

Long Live the Fighters!

Shoes were traditionally not worn because they destroyed tatami mats. Not many schools still use them, so not allowing shoes is often a case of being bound by tradition for traditions sake, with no understanding why you do what you do. Wear a good pair of martial arts shoes in class, and practice outside with street shoes. Practice barefoot in the shower.

Freedom isn't free!

Shoes were traditionally not worn because they destroyed tatami mats. Not many schools still use them, so not allowing shoes is often a case of being bound by tradition for traditions sake, with no understanding why you do what you do. Wear a good pair of martial arts shoes in class, and practice outside with street shoes. Practice barefoot in the shower.

Good point