• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fear of fighting?

dinesh

You have confidence in your techniques, but has anyone ever been afarid to fight, because of the outcome for the opponent?

I am a person that doesn't like to get pushed around, and usually I don't , because ppl know I do karate , (go figure! :-? ).

But I've always been afarid of fighting.....

Weather I punch the guy in his nose(the first place I would aim for) ormaybe do something else that might kill or severly injure the person...

Consiquences....

How does one overcome the fear to hurt another, in self defence...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you get to the point that you know how to regulate your power and technique to do as much damage as you want and nothing more.

This can only be done through extensive training, in many different aspects.

I think there is a natural progression that can be seen in martial artists...

first... they think they know what martial arts is about..

second... they realize they know nothing..

third... they think they understand what the deal with martial arts is.

fourth... they realize they are only an infant in the arts..

fifth.. they think they know what martial arts is about and how to do it.

sixth...they realize they are only an infant in the arts...

seventh... they think they know what martial arts is about and how to do it.

eighth.... getting my point?

i guess what i mean is as you progress i think everyone hits a point where they realize they can kill or maim people easily.

then they start training to regulate their abilities so they can have more control over the possibilities..

sounds like you are at this stage...

It is a very humbling when you first realize you have the technique to do such serious harm to others.....

Its very refreshing to hit the point you realize you can regulate it when you need...

keep training, be confident in yourself, and let your mind and emotions expand to get you to the next point..

If a person says they are not scared to fight its a lie. Again I don't mean get in the ring I mean fight.

People fear many things: Pain, Losing, Death, looking bad, etc... The kicker is to NEVER let fear win. Its ok to get beat but lose for the right reason. They guy was better than you. Don't lose because you choked or were not ready.

Again fear is normal if you don't have it your prob dead. Fear lets us know were still alive just like Pain does.

I played football for a long time. I till this day say I never got nervous. I was excited some call that nerves. Point is I was never scared to screw up I know i put in a honest week of practice and I was as good as I could be on that night. If I lost or we lost so be it but I never lost cause I thought the other team was just better.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

If a person says they are not scared to fight its a lie. Again I don't mean get in the ring I mean fight.

I disagree..

If you said that if a person claims they dont feel something when they are going to fight I would agree.

When I fight in the ring I dont have fear, its more anticipation, and adrenaline..

when I fight on the street I would call it concern, and not fear... concern for all things..

I know we are talking semantics here... but I personally think FEAR is a really strong word, and the things I fear, are not really the fight...

But things I cant control...

like viruses, disease, etc.

I dont know if that makes sense or not

yea i agree with 47 martialman. i too dont fear of fightin some1 but fear of hurting them severely or breaking something (like ill ever do that :) ).

Learn with your heart...

Speak with knowledge...

Fight like a sword...

Convince with words...

And uuuh just a suggestion

Drink like a MAN!!!

Don't misconstrue what I am saying. Earlier in life, juevenile years, there was anxiety when getting into a fight. Some have this anxiety as fear and some have in temperment (extremely angry). Those that have fear, are not necessarily cowards, they are mainly people whom do not like confrontations.

Everytime I get in a fight, I feel confident of myself. I know how to knock out my opponent, seriously injure, or kill him with my own hands. I think the best way to not being scared is gaining knowladge. The more you know, the more confident youll be, because youll know what will do what and where. For example -

You said you first aim for the nose. No, the nose cant kill a person(The bone going into the brain is a mith). Yes, this wont kill someone but will injure them, same thing if you aim for the upper lip, the stomach, or even the heart, which will shock the person for a few seconds.

If you are scared, and let power take over knowladge, your techniques might bet out of control and your punches can slide to parts which are dangerous to hit, such as the windpipe, which can be crushed, the temple, which can cause concussion or even the jaw, which will paralyze one side of the opponents face.

If you KNOW you have the knowladge to disable him, with such strikes as a knee kick, punch to the nerves on the shoulder or even on the groin, you should not be afraid, because no matter how strong or big the opponent is, there is no muscle on the skull, or any of the other vital points, and if there is, enough pressure will always do the trick.

Youre being pushed around? DONT HIT THE PERSON, that will trigger him and you will probably get into a fight. I would reccomend any kind of locks or pressure to vital points, which wont really have any violence, but you will make him beg you to let go :P

Anyways, in conclusion, dont be afraid to take a hit, chances are your opponent is as scared, or even more scared than you. If you get hit, you come back up and use your best judgement on what you should aim for.

P.S - Only karate fights look good, no real fights will be clean or have all those fancy 360 kicks. Dont be afraid to look bad.

But as always, the best thing is to try and not get into a fight.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Coco,

No, the nose cant kill a person.

Darn, I thought I had that move mastered.

I would reccomend any kind of locks or pressure to vital points, which wont really have any violence, but you will make him beg you to let go

Vital points, like vital being fatal? non -violence?

Anyways, in conclusion, dont be afraid to take a hit, chances are your opponent is as scared, or even more scared than you. If you get hit, you come back up and use your best judgement on what you should aim for.

I have been hit...hard at times. Did not see the "fear" in my oponnents eyes.

Just messin with you Coco.....

I get your message.

Its ALL good :wink: