• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it just a "fad"? I didn't know it went away. I've only recently started taking jujitsu formally, but I've always had a lot of respect for jujitsu people I would grapple with before I took it.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

"Fad" I use that term as a resurgence of it. It was popular in the 30's-40's. Then Judo. Then Karate. Then Kung Fu, Then JKD, Then TKD, Then Ninjutsu, etc.

Being in the martial arts for 37 years I have seen schools come and go because of a "fad". The resurgence of it largely to UFC, etc.

Do not misconstrue this, as I am not stating that it has no value. It has.

However, it HAS it limitations.

I have many tales to tell of this art and others that I have personally been in, experienced, and have seen.

I agree it has limitations...I'm primarily an Okinawan karateka, I'm just taking it for a fresh perspective on some principles that are in my style (and because the teacher is also my iaido teacher).

I do agree that stuff like UFC has made it more popular, since they always say "Hey, you never see a karate guy win UFC" and other such things. :roll:

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

There hasn't really been a resurgence of it, IMO. Back then, it was japanese jujutsu. It's brazilian jiu-jitsu that began to gain popularity in the 90's. The two are quite different.

As for the term "fad", it's relative. The fad these days isn't jiujitsu - it's combat. collectively, the "fad" is MMA venues - UFC, Pride, etc. It just so happens that bjj and muay thai are the two most commonly seen styles in these venues - byproducts of the fad.

If I had to make a timeline of fads, it would be similar to yours, but I would remove jkd - just lump it in with kung fu. A fad in my eyes is something that the majority of the people are flocking to. jkd didn't have that, only MA were flocking to it. If you ask the avg oe, they were like, "jeet what?" but they knew what kung fu was and who bruce lee was. jkd was a semi fad of sorts. In the 80's everyone wanted to be a ninja - I would put ninjutsu before tkd instead of after it.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think that mixed martial arts is a fad, I think that it has been proven to be combat effective. Not better or worst than traditional only that it is proven to work and now days that is what alot of people are looking for is the REAL DEAL. I mean come on Mixed Martial Arts is just taking the best and most realistic technique from other arts and puting them together to make a well rounded realistic way of training for todays combat which is self defense.

I just dont look at it as a fad I see it as something new and exciting and people want to check this new thing out. I will admit that the UFC,Pride etc. is a huge help to the mixed martial arts as far as bringing people in the doors.

Anyways good Topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!