Is cardio kickboxing hurting the martial arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to agree that cardio-kickboxing and such does not teach self-defense. Learning self-defense is more than just kicking,blocking,and punching. It is the ability to use experience in class and applying it to the streets. Sparring helps gain this needed experience, but like many of you hae said you must be willing to hit a person and you must be able to take a few blows in return. I don't believe that cardio-kick boxing and such isa bad thing as long as people realize it is not meant as a means of self-defense. Sure a person can hit a bag...but can they hit a moving target...sure the person will get stronger and get better endurance...but will they have power...sure a person may be fast...but will they hav the timing required to defend them-selves....I do not believe cardio-kick boxing is a disgace infact in ancient times they were useing martial arts as a means of just exerciseing similar to cardio-martial arts today!

Is it not easier to strike a mountain than it is to strike a fly!

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are rough. I see nothing wrong with it.

Especially in addition to your other MA training. It can greatly increase your stamina and flexibility as well as improve your footwork. I'd try it too (but I would get to winded and the guys would never let me live it down.) :grin:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Hey there shotochem ...first, let me welcome you to KarateForums (tell us a bit about yourself in "Introductions") ... and secondly,

:bigwink:

Tae Kwon Do Blk Belt 1st deg./Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-01-02 08:00 ]

You know at my local Y at the halfway point of the class most of the over 40's sneak quietely out while everyone else is lining up at the water fountain. But they are usually back for the next class. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

:spitlaugh:

I have been to Billy Blank's Tai Bo center in Sherman Oaks California...I have personally seen him advise his students on a regular basis NOT TO USE CARDIO TECHNIQES ON THE STREET.

It depends on the instructor....I advise teaching a student properly as well. Most people that take cardio classes do it for that reason...CARDIO.

Hasta!!

Slider

2nd Degree Black belt

Ed Parker Kenpo Karate

Check out "Koldsteel" Enterprises. We offer a wide variety of aluminum samurai swords for training or competition. All of these swords are light as a feather, but look awsome.

Http://hometown.aol.com/koldsteel504/myhomepage/profile.html

• 3 months later...
good thread folks in my opinion it's a good thing...i mean if a person wants to get in shape i would rather do cardio kickboxing than use the stair master...

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo