Is cardio kickboxing hurting the martial arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm a fairy? :lol: I'll hafta cut and paste that to show my male students... (they may want your email address! :lol:) ... j/k

I take the extra time before and after class time to go over specifics with each student and then follow along side them during class manuevering their hips and legs to make sure they aren't torqueing their knees because that seems to be their biggest problem: opening the hips up too much on the side kicks to the bag and therefore torqueing the knee. Also bending of the wrists on their punches/hooks/uppercuts is another biggie :eek: !

....did I mention I use alot of "Prodigy" songs in my cardio music? :wink:

Tae Kwon Do Blk Belt 1st deg./Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-12-19 16:57 ]

Yes! I totally agree Prodigy. I used to go to a school where they taught Kickboxing, real kickboxing, a few times a week. It slowly got turned to "cardio-kickboxing" as it brings in more money. I quit that school. I completely understand what you mean. Kickboxing is real work with sparring, focus pads, heavy bags, a real hard style that builds muscle and fitness. I think your fairy comment describes cardio-kickboxing the best. If I'm taking an art, I want to fight, not do endless drills while I listen to techno music.

Dave :cool:

Than take an art...who the %*#@ said it was an "art" ? sheesh here we go again!

Let's take it back a bit ... re-read posts....You wanna fight..FIGHT... It's a workout and classes are as diversely taught as the "arts" are (the one I teach is kickass) ... leave your tutus at home boyz!

:roll:

Tae Kwon Do Blk Belt 1st deg./Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-12-19 18:33 ]

The word art is an incredibly broad word when it comes to fighting. I meant no offense to anybody, I was just referring to the cardio-kickboxing that I took, you just hit air and had crappy technique. I do however believe that true senseis out there can develop "kick-ass" kickboxing workouts. Once again, I meant no offense, cardio-kickboxing has just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Dave :cool:

hey prodigy get a grip cardio workout is one of the most important ways a fighter can improve themself. I suppose that you think that skipping is whimpy too.Just because the programs dont fit you dont run them down. Without cardio fitness sustained longer than a twenty minutes period youll suck wind faster than a jet turbine. Remember any bozo can go in and slug it out...win or lose..the skill is in hitting when not being able to be hit....If cardio Kickboxing class improves my "dancing" then i am all for it....

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

This is beinning to feel like the value of kata arguement. :argue:

For those who want a kicken" cardio workout it is great. For those who want a more traditional martial arts program go there.

I like to think most adults will have the wisdom to know the difference.

For the open minded go to both. Learn traditon and fighting, then go and do cardio. They can be an excellant complent to each other.

:uhoh:.....what happened here??? :lol: All good points here...I think what it comes down to is a matter of preference. I really enjoy my cardio workouts because they're taught by the owners of my school and always incorporate real techniques we learn in class..to warm up we may punch the air, however when we get right into the guts of the workout, we use pads and bags - if it was more of a 'fairy' cardio workout, I don't think I'd like it either...I want to use the techniques I have already learned in class and would be quite frustrated if we didn't.

Lori :grin:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

Well I think all good points were made .... ramcalgary, a very :argue: thread I must say ... yes SaiFightsMS as heated as kata thread. I must admit there are some pretty sappy programs out there, but if taught at a reputable martial art studio by a black belt (example--->ME) you won't be called tinkerbell!

i know that cardio is very important but there is a difference between cardio kickboxing and running for a half hour to 45 mins... a big difference

and kickchick if you wanna show this that messege i made earlier to your male students go ahead

hell they can email me directly heres my email address h-jandu@mailcity.com

lol! :smile:

oh and ramcalgary......i do not think skipping is wimpy at all....heck i come 1 hour before my training with my sensei and fellow students to skip and stretch and so on.....i do alot of running too and even when i was in taekwondo back in the day i was running so i could get my endurance up

i for one are not one of the idiots who just goes in the ring and slugs it out

[ This Message was edited by: Prodigy-Child on 2001-12-20 13:04 ]

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock