• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is cardio kickboxing hurting the martial arts

i think its benefical to the martial arts..it gives great exposure and can be enjoyed by a part of the public which doesnt want to invole years of training..as far as being practical on the street..(i really enjoy hearing that all the time like were all in a gang or something..as if real life self defense is gonna be reqiured in some street confrintation..when more then likely will occur indoors somewhere but we never feel the need to call it housefighting) anyway same can be argued about some martial arts schools..people leave there ..head all swelled up thinking they are now invincible and they just dare anybody to try to do something..depending on the instructor it is very possible to learn how to throw an effective roudhouse in a cardio class and other techniques..

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I care because someone who think their cardio class enables them to defend themselves may do something stupid on the street and get seriously injured...If you instruct them you should care about the attitudes of your students when they leave the gym or dojo."

That's called natural selection. If a person can't see the difference then showing them true MA will not help. Besides it's not like kid's karate hasn't already disgraced MA enough.

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

I agree with Javier's comment regarding exposure, however it is absolutely the instructor's responsibility to make absolutely clear to their class that it is not a form of self-defense.

Lori :grin:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

Well as long as they are not saying that it is a martial art or self defense . cardio kickboxing is nothing more then an arobic workout. not that , that is a bad thing it is fine as long as the intructors are upfront with that .That is just my humble opinion.

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

Your humble opinion has been taken into account....as an instructor I have never implied that the class I teach is self defense ... but I do teach proper technique in order to pack the most punch so to speak and have them kick their targets/bags as if their life depended on it (a little visualization is sometimes all that the student needs to perform at their peak). If that is teaching self defense then I am guilty.

I do know that there are several MA's here that do take fitness kickboxing together with their regular karate training. Whether you do cardio for health or to melt body fat I do feel that this type of exercise workout does improve the martial artist's performance. The dynamic stretching alone has improved my flexability, kicking height and power (we do use heavy bags). Every martial artist does need to work on their cardio endurance.... and many MA students have found the class rather grueling as far as that goes!

Tae Kwon Do Blk Belt 1st deg./Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-12-19 06:00 ]

very intense cardio workout..i have seen several "martial artist" join in on some of these classes only to have them on the floor out of breath twenty minutes in and wondering WHA HAPPEN? while "soccer mom" stands behind them kicking and at the same time grinning down on them :grin:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

As properly presented I think cardio kick is and excellant aerobic workout. And as for martial arts applications hmmmm. There are many aspects to the martial arts.

This is a good introduction to some of the techniques used in the arts. But without the applications. A way to have fun and a good work out without having to face an opponent other than your own self.

I have a feeling I am making no sense.

Cardio kick fullfills a niche. A fitness niche with a unique introduction to what further involvement in the martial arts might offer.

I absolutely need my cardio workouts in order to be able to keep up in my regular classes, as I've more endurance now. I've noticed huge changes in my flexibility, strength and muscle tone...each class is different so we are focusing on something different each time...all the while keeping our heart-rate up. As far as the differences in quality of technques, you can always tell who goes to the MA classes and who comes only for the cardio classes...no question about it. I think it's great KickChick that you take the time to show them the proper techniques, however we don't really have the time to do that in our classes - we wouldn't have the time for the actual workout if we did! :up:

Lori :wave:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

we have cardio kickboxing at our dojo....i just do it for the warm up but i will be honest and say that a HATE it. id rather skip or run for a half hour then do cardio kickboxing.....

when i tell people that i kickbox....i remind them and i say "real kickboxing" not that "cardio kickboxing" garbage.....

real kickboxing is when you spar....do focus pad work and work the heavy bag....not jumping around like a fairy

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock