Is cardio kickboxing hurting the martial arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these classes aren't mean't to address the "spiritual". They are strictly taught for cardio endurance and fitness. Many of my "cardio" students have crossed over to TKD.

As an instructor and more importantly a Black Belt teaching this cardio fitness kickboxing...I sure do hope my students leave my class with a greater understanding of self defense and the proper way to execute kicks, blocks and punches.

Tae Kwon Do Blk Belt 1st deg./Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-12-17 10:19 ]

:evil:I care because someone who think their cardio class enables them to defend themselves may do something stupid on the street and get seriously injured...If you instruct them you should care about the attitudes of your students when they leave the gym or dojo.

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

I reckon that to come out after a cardio class and say that u have any proper knowledge of how to defend yourself is ludicrous. It's dancing for cryin' out loud.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

As KickChick said I've also seen students who have just started to learn an 'art' walk out thinking they are Bruce Lee....

By saying the cardio programmes is detremental to martial arts in general is a bit extreme isnt it? I mean they are taught with endurance and fitness in mind (which is something martial arts train students in as well). Those thinking they are Bruce Lee are obviously just as foolish as students who have just begun to learn any other art; so how are the cardio programmes bad?

Shotokan Karate Black Belt

==Defend the path of Truth==

Plain and simple cardio kickboxing is a workout and not mean't to be a "martial art". Being both a martial artist and a fitness instructor I hear it from both sides, however I conduct my classes in an entirely different way than most "taebo -type" cardio classes and I'm not going to go into my defense mode again on this. Our program is NAPMA certified and I honestly don't believe any of my students feel that they are "Bruce Lee" when they leave my class but they are instructed by me on the proper techniques i.e. side kick, roundhouse, proper way to punch, block etc. 45 min of class time is devoted to non-stop bag work...15 min. of additional conditioning drills and cooldown follow. They get a great cardio workout and sweat about 800-1000 calories a class.

Yes, Angus there are "dancy" classes I agree I've seen them and they make me sick to be termed "kickboxing" or cardio "karate" ...

I know when I first joined KarateForums there was a "heated" discussion concerning this "form of exercise" which does incorporate kickboxing/karate kicks and punches. That thread no longer exists on the forum (I did a search). I believe we all determined it (cardio kickboxing) to be a good and positive thing, bringing martial arts back into the forefront.

The only way cardio kickbox classes can be bad is when they are taught by aerobic instructors with no formal martial arts instruction at all. Poor techniques learned lead to injuries.

Tae Kwon Do Blk Belt 1st deg./Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-12-17 14:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-12-17 14:44 ]