• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think i know what you are talking about. I sometimes use that if someone is in my guard and i attempt sumi gaeshi. If they post an arm i can wrap my closest arm and bring across towards my head till i can grab my other arm. Roll over into tateshiho and apply ude garmi to trapped arm.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're thinking way too much sport Jiu Jitsu- one of the most effective things about Jiu Jitsu (especially the guard position) is the ability to mule kick like hell from your back- this is a VERY powerfull kick, and anyone who drops their head to look at your crotch is going to be greeted by one.

Renzo Gracie vs Oleg Taktarov and Ricardo Arona vs Quiton Jackson are good examples of people getting surprised by kicks from the guard

isnt a mule kick when you kick behind you? in the guard your opponent is in front of you, and youre on your back.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• 2 weeks later...

most people dont forget they can strike from the mount where i come from. depending on the posistion, usually just really strong hooks or something, not necessarily to the face (throat, neck, kidneys....) keep in mind though that the guard is a dominant position but you cant do much striking from it.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I would agree with that statement. By "neutral" I would venture to guess he is saying you have an equal amount of opportunities to attack from that position as you would from the mount? :-? I dunno. The advantage of the guard is the unrecognized amount of control you have over your opponent- tying him up, controlling him with your legs, etc. I think he is looking at it from a BJJ vs BJJ scenario. In this case, it could be neutral. However, in a BJJ vs streetfighter scenario, It could be an advantage- regardless of your position. In all honesty, I would prefer to be in the mount in a street fight, and "ground and pound" from there. In the studio, I wouldn't care either way, since my opponent could counter many things I threw at him from the mount. But being on your back in a street fight is not a good place to be, IMO.

Mixed Martial Artist

Thanks for starting this thread, Vito, you have some good points.

Nice point, Gum, people do forget that, as well as the fact that they can strike from the mount. By the way, do you have a favorite strike from a dominant position?

I dont know many people who forget they can strike from the mount. As far as striking on the ground, Im more likely to move from position to position (ala Nogueira) until i get mount. If I had to pick a favorite strike from a position, its an elbow to the spine from the back mount.

i dont think its a strike like punching and such... more like jabbing eyes and chopping throats... things that hurt but dont require a lot of power.

-Machiavelli