• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hey, im curious what the fighters have to say about this. the guard position is definitely a great place to be when grappling- but say youre one on one with some punk in an alley and you wind up in the guard position. okay, no one else around so youre fine being there for a bit- but what about your nuts? you can defend against knockout punches all you want, as well as you want, but how would you guys defend that ever-so-precious area? i know its the first place id go for if someone had me in guard and it was the real thing.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I know I am not the best at knowing things, and I am a girl, but I think that if you are fast enough to put a triangle choke on or an arm bar, you should be fine. Other then that I guess that you should just hang on tight for the ride and pray to God the don't go for it. Well that is my two cents. Thanks

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

Well, if they're in your closed guard you're holding their wrists or pulling them in close. Or sitting up and going for overhooks if they reel back trying to get room to strike. If they're kneeling/standing in your open guard you're pushing them away with your knees and/or feet. They shouldn't have much nut striking ability. Even if they try they offer their head for you to hit.

That's true. Closed guard, that is. Keep in mind, unless you are adept at working from the guard, don't be overconfident in this position. Many people get a false sense of security in this position since they watch too much UFC or Pride. Many of these guys practice from the guard a LOT, and know how to handle most of the situations thrown at them. The inexperienced grappler can be pounded mercilessly from the guard. Bottom line is, if you are not good at handling situation from the guard, GET OUT of it and try to attain a better position. Or, just lock in and hold tight while you collect your thoughts and work it out. Or, better yet, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Mixed Martial Artist

interesting.... i think on the street id want to get out of the guard right away no matter how good i was at it, unless me opponent gave me an opportunity to instantly end it (i.e. break his arm) because dominant as it is, on your back, and on the ground period is dangerous on the street.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• 2 weeks later...
interesting.... i think on the street id want to get out of the guard right away no matter how good i was at it, unless me opponent gave me an opportunity to instantly end it (i.e. break his arm) because dominant as it is, on your back, and on the ground period is dangerous on the street.

As the other replies have said, if you are good at being in the guard then you should be fine. If you grapple often then you won't have too much trouble there. The problem can come if you are uncomfortable there and start to panic. If it is a vicious fight and you find yourself in the closed guard, pullhim in and simply eye gouge him. Fight is done. If you don't want to eye gouge him, set him up for something less brutal, I.E. a choke out.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay in a street fight anything goes as you made clear in the opening of this topic. That also means anything goes for you so you need to reach into your basket of tricks and not even give them a chance to think about going for the special place. Pummelll them hard and fast.

Okay so I'm trying to keep it intense here!! I would try to get out of the guard asap in a real street fight just because of the fact that you never know who might be coming threw that alley next. But this is an interesting topic and for sure is something worth getting on the mat and trying out new things to improve your abilities from the guard.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

hehe, my new favorite thing lately is to grab an arm, plant my feet and flip them with my hips into a mount position. i forget the name, but if you do it right its hard to defend against.

-Machiavelli