• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One-step Techniques

What do you do in your dojang?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do in your dojang?

• Specific numbered techniques (eg One-step #1, 2, 3 . . .)
    • Specific principals (eg arm bar, joint lock etc.)

I have trained in Tae Kwon Do in two different schools. In one school, specific numbered one-step techniques (#1-#30) are learned. Eventually the student learns the principals involved inductively. In another school, the kwanjangnim demonstrated basic principals and encouraged us to experiment with each other. I'm just wondering which approach is more common.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We have a certain number of techniques to learn (the numbered one above). We do the joint locks and stuff seperately (Chin Na stuff) and our teacher tells us to try it. They aren't numbered or anything. So I guess you can say we do both.

Laurie F

I guess we also do both. We have specific numbered techniques that we have to know for each belt level, but we also free spar and are encouraged to practice those techniques and then do variations on them during the sparring.

Res firma, mitescere nescit

Our one steps are used more to re-enforce the techniques taught in class rather than as a preset response to an attack. We do not number them or have a set number to know before you can be promoted. Students are required to come up with their own combinations during one step sparring as well.

Train like your life depends on it....Because it does.

I don't do TKD, but I figure this poll/question is applicable to all systems.

We don't have "numbered" one-steps.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"