• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

if youre considering self defense or street practicality the main reason for doing martial arts, you cant do better than bjj. grappling is the way to go.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if youre considering self defense or street practicality the main reason for doing martial arts, you cant do better than bjj. grappling is the way to go.

I disagree, if u want the best self defence art then neither a pure grappling art or a pure striking art will do. Krav Maga teaches both. It involves locks, strikes, groundfighting, improvised weapons training, disarming knives/guns and teaches u to defend ur self in a variety of situations. It also teaches u to control anger and stress. Its pure self defence plain and simple, u are trained to kill or disable ur opponent quickly, however it becomes an art form when u learn to be able to use nessesary force ie. not to cause death or permanent damage to ur opponent when nessesary. Krav Maga is battle tested with the IDF (Israli defence forces) and has evolved over the years to become better and better. It is renouned for being easy to learn and no-nonsense.

Thats the reason that it is taught to special forces, police and bodygurad agenices around the world...

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I disagree, if u want the best self defence art then neither a pure grappling art or a pure striking art will do. Krav Maga teaches both. It involves locks, strikes, groundfighting, improvised weapons training, disarming knives/guns and teaches u to defend ur self in a variety of situations. It also teaches u to control anger and stress. Its pure self defence plain and simple, u are trained to kill or disable ur opponent quickly, however it becomes an art form when u learn to be able to use nessesary force ie. not to cause death or permanent damage to ur opponent when nessesary. Krav Maga is battle tested with the IDF (Israli defence forces) and has evolved over the years to become better and better. It is renouned for being easy to learn and no-nonsense.

Thats the reason that it is taught to special forces, police and bodygurad agenices around the world...

I disagee, Krav isnt the only one that does this.

There have been many ex-militray personal that have trained and taught in specialized combat long before the Isralies call theirs "Krav"

Long before Krav became popular, I had a such a instructor (ex-military)

What some peolple fail to realize, is that the vey term and existence of the martial arts means warfare/fighting. But "Krav", or such of extreme combat training, stray away from the "art" and lean more toward the "martial". They do not put the "art" back into "Martial Art".

I didnt say Krav Maga is the only style that does this, I just used it as an example. I know alot of special forces dont use Krav Maga and use their own styles, for example the SAS have their own style that the've been perfecting sinse WW2 way b4 krav maga was even consieved, however these styles are not available to the general public. Krav maga is.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I didnt say Krav Maga is the only style that does this, I just used it as an example. I know alot of special forces dont use Krav Maga and use their own styles, for example the SAS have their own style that the've been perfecting sinse WW2 way b4 krav maga was even consieved, however these styles are not available to the general public. Krav maga is.

Yeah, I know. I would not call them a "style". But these systems, let's call them SYSTEMS, ARE available from ex-military people who teach martial arts. There are a few out there. They will teach a martial "ART", say like Tang So Do, or other, that they trained in while overseas. Later, for advanced students, teach military applications. These instructors just don't form a "new system", (some do). There are scores of them but are not "hyped". I know I am across three such instructors in my area. One such instructor had many horrible military stories he would tell while teaching these methods. But, all of this was RESERVED fo advanced students.

ShadowGumba,

Some karate styles concentrate a lot on technique and kata especially in the beginning. Then when they believe that the students have mastered the basics then they are taught sparring. Many traditional schools follow this type of training. It helps avoid students picking up bad habits like hopping around etc.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

ShadowGumba,

Some karate styles concentrate a lot on technique and kata especially in the beginning. Then when they believe that the students have mastered the basics then they are taught sparring. Many traditional schools follow this type of training. It helps avoid students picking up bad habits like hopping around etc.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

What to you mean hopping around?

47MartialMan,

Hopping as in jumping around without a good solid base.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?