• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginer Uniform Rules

I am about to start out in tae kwon do, so i was looking at some uniforms online. I was wondering are you required to wear the unifroms provided by the dojang. What is the difference between a white, black or colored v-neck? Do they symbolize anything? What about the stripes, aren't they for a grand master or something? Black or White Uniform? the rules about patches? any information you can provide me with would be good. Oh yeah and whta about shoes, whats the deal with them? Thanks.

Martial Arts USA

TALIUM - THE SPIRIT OF TAEKWONDO

https://www.talium4me.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with Dinesh. The dress code, like any of the other rules of your dojang or school, is subject to the sole discretion of your kwanjangnim, or master instructor. If you feel that the cost of the required uniform is excessive, inquire about it to your instructor in a courteous and respectful manner. Sometimes dojangs require you to wear the uniform that they sell both to promote a sense of unity within the dojang and to defray the costs of maintaining the dojang. You might be able to find the same uniform for less on-line, but you're ultimately shortchanging your new family in doing so. However, if your kwanjangnim responds badly, watch out. It is a red flag.

This is a good question...here's my thing...I started TKD about six weeks ago and already my uniform is starting to come apart, literally. For example, every other class there are loose threads and the rubber/elastic part in the pants is coming loose/unraveled. The jacket hasn't given me any problems, just the pants. And I'm at that height where I'm too big for a 3 but a 4 is just a little too big on me and it's annoying trying to kick and the bottom of the pants is getting in the way.

I don't know if your new school has their logo on the back (mine does) so once I get a few bucks I'll ask my instructor if they have something a little higher quality.

I have seen this happen alot in my dojo...

The sell cheaply made Gis, poly/cotton blend, that being to wear out very quickly.

Being that you by know know about what color etc gi you would need, black , white, vneck etc, ask your instructor if it will be alright to buy your own uniform. Then go outt, do some research, I think adidas sells some good Vneck TKD uniforms, and order it.

I doubt your instructor should have a problem you using your own gi , unless generating revenues for continously selling the same substandard gi is how they like to run things.

My instructor uses the "Bold" brand. They hold out pretty well, specially since the way my boyfriend wears his out. But he's had the Bold one for a little over a year. The Centery ones fall apart (at least in my experience).

Anyways, back to sickwithit13's question. The best thing to do is to ask your instructor. Each school has their own policies (sp?). My old TSD dojang had their own uniforms, but they didn't care if you bought uniforms from elsewhere (as long as it was white). This dojang requires you to buy from them. So ask you instructor what he perfers.

Laurie F

Good question! My dojo gives you your first gi for free. It's not spendy or heavy duty, but gets the job done. You will get a patch from you dojo when you've completed your 2nd or 3 belt and you are expected to sew it on promptly! You are given a white uniform like the rest of the school to show that you are a part of this school and not an individual. The uniforms are the same style and you can find someone to take the pant legs or sleeves of the jacket up to fit your size. Our dojo has a lovely lady who sews the school letters on the back as well as tailoring for a nominal fee. She does great work and the school loves her!

The hash marks on the belts are ranks for the black belts only. A first dan will have 1 mark while a 5 dan will have 5 marks. You are expected to wash your uniform on a regular basis so as not to offend others around you and make sure to use some bleach if your dojo uses the white color. Don't disgrace yourself and others around you by coming to the floor with a smelly and wrinkled uniform. The instructors will make an example out of you if you don't! I waited till I got to the upper ranks before ordering a new gi and my chief instructor even told me I should order all uniforms and equipment from her as she could save me money. She was right about that as I price checked her against other companies and I was quite thrilled. I hope this will answer most of your questions....and good luck in your schooling!

Chaz

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving.