• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching

blitzcraig

just a little note on the 'one inch punch' type movement of the wing chun punch.

as well as it being a way to bring an extra 'power'

(i should add that some schools teach 'solid' wrist for punches)

the wrist action also serves to disrupt balance, specifically/originally, against older chinese (shaolin) styles that teach to relax on feeling contact

(i.e go soft to absorb before tensing to 'bounce' the hit).

this goes in part to explain why the first is vertical;

to first push down before driving through.

the snap of the wrist also acts as a timing device.

before you've 'finished' the punch

i.e competed wrist movement

it is easier to interrupt your move because your wrist is still loose.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

very interesting all

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Very good post Shorin Ryuu. While I'm hardly into any serious advanced theory, my instructer has from the beginning stressed that we need to be relaxed at all times, until the point of impact [or piercing if you will], and then must again be relaxed. If you are not relaxed, your muscles are tightened. It is very difficult to move fast if all your muscles are tightened. Since part of your power is due to speed [in addition to body position, technique etc] this does make quite a difference.

If your muscles are tight, in order to move, you must first relax them. He has us tighten all of our muscles. Arms, neck, back, stomache, legs, feet, fists. Tight, tight, tight. Then tells us to punch as quickly as possible. It's just not feasible. Sure we can punch, but even at my level, it is obviously slower and more difficult than punching from a relaxed state. Of course, this is an extreme example of the effect, but an effective example [no pun intendid] nonetheless.

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

Yeah, It think relaxation when doing martial arts (and life in general, especially for guys) is one of the hardest things to teach beginners. You have to constantly tell them to relax...

Even really motivated students have a problem with this at first, because they tend to tense up as they concentrate...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/