• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Athens Olympics: Tae Kwon Do

does anyone know if or when it will be on next?

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thurs. 8/26 CNBC 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM

MSNBC 2:00 AM - 7:00 AM

Fri. 8/27 MSNBC 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Sat. 8/28 CNBC 3:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Sun 8/29 CNBC 38/26, 2:00 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 49kg - Preliminaries

8/26, 4:12 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 58kg - Preliminaries

8/26, 8:30 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 49kg - Preliminaries

8/26, 8:54 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 58kg - Preliminaries

8/26, 9:54 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 49kg - Repechage

8/26, 10:18 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 58kg - Repechage

8/26, 10:48 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 49kg - Repechage

8/26, 11:12 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 58kg - Repechage

8/26, 11:53 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 49kg - Bronze Medal Contest

8/26, 12:05 PM Taekwondo - Men's Under 58kg - Bronze Medal Contest

8/27, 2:00 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 57kg - Preliminaries

8/27, 4:12 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 68kg - Preliminaries

8/27, 8:30 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 57kg - Preliminaries

8/27, 8:54 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 68kg - Preliminaries

8/27, 9:54 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 57kg - Repechage

8/27, 10:18 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 68kg - Repechage

8/27, 10:48 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 57kg - Repechage

8/27, 11:12 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 68kg - Repechage

8/27, 11:53 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 57kg - Bronze Medal Contest

8/27, 12:05 PM Taekwondo - Men's Under 68kg - Bronze Medal Contest

8/28, 2:00 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 67kg - Preliminaries

8/28, 4:12 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 80kg - Preliminaries

8/28, 8:30 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 67kg - Preliminaries

8/28, 8:54 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 80kg - Preliminaries

8/28, 9:54 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 67kg - Repechage

8/28, 10:18 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 80kg - Repechage

8/28, 10:48 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 67kg - Repechage

8/28, 11:12 AM Taekwondo - Men's Under 80kg - Repechage

8/28, 11:53 AM Taekwondo - Women's Under 67kg - Bronze Medal Contest

8/28, 12:05 PM Taekwondo - Men's Under 80kg - Bronze Medal Contest

8/29, 1:00 AM Taekwondo - Women's Over 67kg - Preliminaries

8/29, 3:12 AM Taekwondo - Men's Over 80kg - Preliminaries

8/29, 7:30 AM Taekwondo - Women's Over 67kg - Preliminaries

8/29, 7:54 AM Taekwondo - Men's Over 80kg - Preliminaries

8/29, 8:54 AM Taekwondo - Women's Over 67kg - Repechage

8/29, 9:18 AM Taekwondo - Men's Over 80kg - Repechage

8/29, 9:48 AM Taekwondo - Women's Over 67kg - Repechage

8/29, 10:12 AM Taekwondo - Men's Over 80kg - Repechage

8/29, 10:53 AM Taekwondo - Women's Over 67kg - Bronze Medal Contest

8/29, 11:05 AM Taekwondo - Men's Over 80kg - Bronze Medal Contest

:00 AM - 12:00 PM

I hate the way they stand there with there arms by their sides! whats that all about! Havent they heard of guards! its so unpractical its embarrasing. Also, look at their stances, they stand sideways on to their opponents! and dont even get me started on the lack of punches!

I'm guessing this is just olympic sport karate, traditional TKD isnt like that is it?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I thought the same thing Rich_2k3.

I was looking at the results and for Offensive and Defensive Punches all the fighers showed 0's not one of them has a point in those catagories. I looked at 8-10 fighters profiles. Seems like a waste to me. The fights I saw the hands could have made a huge difference.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a fight where all you had to do was watch the feet.

One point is 'supposed' to be awarded for a solid punch to the hogo (chest protector). At my first USTU Nationals I countered a double roundhouse with a reverse punch right in his sternum. He fell flat on the floor. No point.

Kind of discourages a player when the judges don't award ponts that are valid. You've got to play to the judges. If they are only scoring head kicks, then kick to the head. If they are only scoring offensive hits and not defensive, then be the offensive player. It's not 'traditional' TKD, it's a sport, a game, with people making judgements on what is a score. So play to the judges. That is, if you rather win then just look good.

Don't misunderstand me. Punches are still very useful. I do my share of punches, but more to disrupt my opponents attack or distract him before a kick. I don't rely on punches to score my points.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I've seen some transmissiond on EuroSport. The first time I ever saw Olympic TKD. Honestly I was disapointed. I almost chocked with food while trying to swallow and psyche the fighters at the same time. I was so irritated seeing the competitors waiting for each other and waiting endlessly. I've got all the respect for TKD, but these matches were lousy. And the guard .. or lack of it.

If the same thing would happen to Karate if it was to be included in the Olympics .. I'd rather have it not accepted. I liked the protective aspect of the matches ... the people were well protected, though I've seen some blood twice. The problem with the matches was the competitor waited to react and nobody .. well .. acted. It's a good thing to be able to have quick devastating counters, but somebody's got to attack. :D

I wait for another matches. Maybe I'll see some more commitment.

You know, I just don't understand the negative comments about Olympic TKD. Is it just jealousy because your favorite martial art isn't in the Olympics? :-?

Just why does Olympic TKD have to conform to what everyone here thinks it should be, instead of understanding what it is and appreciating the strategy employed to win a bout?

Why isn't everyone complaining about boxing not being very realistic the same way they are about Olympic TKD? I mean, all those boxers do is stand around and jab and punch. There's no kicking! Where's all the kicking? :P

I can understand if someone just doesn't like a particular sport, but to hear the silly nitpicks being hurled at Olympic TKD, it's like people are just looking for any reason at all to bash TKD.

Wassup with all the hate? :)

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

The reason is because its supposed to be sport combat...and it makes people wonder when they athletes dont even have their hands up. That is a very obvious flaw in the olympic tkd fighting and its not the sports fault really but the coaches obviously dont emphasize keeping your hands up. If you took another sport combat practioner and put them in a real situation they would have a chance of surviving because they know to protect themselves...when you blatantly ignore this and let your hands hang at your sides you are asking for trouble in a fight, sport or not, IMHO.

Long Live the Fighters!

Total agree tufrthanu, no wonder martial arts gets a bad rep when ppl watch see stuf if like that.

And to the other comment, its not jelousy, i'm so glad karate is not in the olympics, i train for self defence not sport.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

DLopez:

You know, I just don't understand the negative comments about Olympic TKD.

Not me! Not me! :P

tufrthanu said:

…it makes people wonder when they athletes dont even have their hands up. That is a very obvious flaw in the olympic tkd fighting and its not the sports fault really but the coaches obviously dont emphasize keeping your hands up.

ramymensa said:

the people were well protected, though I've seen some blood twice.

Looks like someone should have kept his hands up, at least this once:

Bertrand Cbongou Liango of Central African Republic is taken to a hospital unconscious on a stretcher after being kicked in the head by Tuncay Caliskan of Austria in the taekwondo quarterfinals Friday.

Liango was leading 4-1 in the third and final round of his bout when a roundhouse kick from Caliskan knocked him unconscious.

“It is an ordinary technique,” Austria coach Mustafa Atalar said. “My athlete tried to win the match and not to harm his opponent. He executed the kick but the other athlete didn’t take the right defensive position. This was the first time that I saw this kick cause such damage.”

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040827/040827_Liango_hmed.h2.jpg

OK, one more time about punches and the hands down thing. It’s not the competitor’s fault, or the coach’s fault. It’s the way the judges don’t award a point to a player for a solid punch. There’s your waste of time, punching and punching and not getting any points. Two points are given for head shots, so that’s encouragement to go to the head. I bet if points were awarded for punches a little more liberally then you’d see a lot more punches being thrown.

As I mention in my previous post I use punches to disrupt my opponents attack or to set up my scoring kick. I don’t count on punches to score, even if I put the guy on his back. In that regard, I also have gotten accustomed to not worrying about his punches scoring on me. So at times I will fight with my hands down. It’s much easier and quicker for me to step into my opponent’s roundhouse with my arms covering the entire side of my body then to try to throw a block from hands up position. By stepping in I’m in a position where I am too close to him for him to hit my head. You may not see this as practical, but until you’ve perfected it or seen it properly done I can understand your arguments against it, and that’s OK.

I like fighting people who fight with their hands up all the time. My quick kicks can get under their arms 80% of the time for a score. I’ve been burnt before and hit hard in the chest with punches doing this, but the odds are in my favor I’ll get the point. I will have to admit I’m not the best with the hand techniques. I have competed in point sparring only three times and have only won one of those, and that was the State Championships…go figure!!

tufrthanu said:

If you took another sport combat practioner and put them in a real situation they would have a chance of surviving because they know to protect themselves...when you blatantly ignore this and let your hands hang at your sides you are asking for trouble in a fight, sport or not, IMHO.

Very understandable on your part tufrthanu. I love TKD but have asked myself the same question you posed here. At least until I had conversations with some of my fellow TKD practitioners who actually had to use their TKD skills in street defense. With each it only took a matter of a few seconds to disable or knockout their assailant. They didn’t stand around and ‘box’ the guy. They used either their Hapkido techniques or the power of their TKD kicks.

Rich_2k3 said:

i train for self defence not sport.

And I train for sport. No right or wrong here. I already know the first rule of self defense, avoid the situation. I haven't had to confront an assailant in years.

Edited by Kicks

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes