• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello!

This is something that I have a difficulty discussing with anyone, but I sure would like you all to offer opinions.

About four months ago I was awarded my Blue Belt in BJJ. I felt very pround and honored that my head instructor would even consider making me a Blue Belt as I thought and was sure I was not ready to handle it. Recently it has come to my attention that everytime that I grapple a person I always lose unless it is someone that has less strength then I. Anyways on to the point. I was wondering a many different things....

Why would my instructor give me a Blue Belt when I am obviously not ready? Do you think he did the right thing? And do you think I am not quite prepared to hold this rank as Blue Belt?

I am understanding that you all obviously no nothing about my BJJ career so I will enlighten you all just a little... I have been in BJJ for about three years. I hardly win any matches that I an involved in, this inclues all white belts. I can, however, hold out (not tapping out) for a long time when I wrestle Blue Belts. I am good at defending and not so good at the offense part. I am the only Blue Belt Female that trains at my academy at this time, we have another one but she does not train.

Anywho... I would really like your opinions. Do you think I was right in thinking that I did not and do not now deserve such the honor of being a Blue Belt??

Thanks

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You should trust on your master's opinion. Now, by having the belt on your waist, you'll be forced to catch up with the other blue belts and go up on the level you feel you should be.

Martial arts is more than "win" matches on the dojo. Is also hard work and dedication. Maybe that's what your master saw on you. You seem to have a good defense now work on your offensive game.

see you.

blue belt isn't about tapping people. the main staple of a blue belt is knowing how to get and maintain a position of control and also how to escape. Now that you can do that well, continue to hone it, and start mastering subs for your purple.

I agree with Karateka_latino in that you should trust your master's opinion. IMO maybe a higher rank is given so you by your own mind begin to think differently about where your at, what your doing, and change inwardly. You are beginning to notice your strengths and weaknesses. I don't think it should be a question if you are prepared to hold a blue belt, but what is your definition of a blue belt rank and are you honestly knowledgable and confident with the rank you do have that lower ranks will work hard enough to get to that level using you as an example. I also think it's great that your thinking about it !! Keep up the good work !!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Sounds to me like you have a confidence issue. Don't worry about winning so much. In tournaments you should go for winning. In class, work on your technique, and correct any mistakes you may have. Intelligence is a large part of fighting.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

someone once said to me: youre always as good as your last belt.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli