• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thanks everyone for the great advice..... i was wondering is there a martial art that includes the use of weapons (nunchucks, sai's etc) but also teaches fighting skills? or am i just wanting everything in one thing here?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks everyone for the great advice..... i was wondering is there a martial art that includes the use of weapons (nunchucks, sai's etc) but also teaches fighting skills? or am i just wanting everything in one thing here?

Many of the Okinawan/Japanese systems teach both karate (empty hand) and kobudo (weapons), such as *cleaning my throat here* Shorinryu. We also do a Okinawan art called Tuitte, which is similar to JJ in that we do joint manipulations, take downs, etc also. I';ve found it to be as complete a system, and keeping with a certain amount of tradition, as there is. But then again, after nearly 30 years in it..I might just be a wee bit biased.

:D

Gotta love those free plugs, huh? :brow:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Karate is an excellent all round choice. Good self defence capabilities, a good workout and some styles train with weapons when u reach the higher grades (like mine).

If ur after some good no nonsense self defence then i'd suggest Krav maga or Jeet kune do (created by Bruce Lee), both excellant martial arts that are purely developed for self defence, Krav maga is actually taught to many law enforement agencies around the world because of its practicalities, Krav maga was originally created by the Israli army.

If ur after sport, then TKD is good, although its all about impractical flashy kicks and point sparring and wont really help u to defend ur self on the street (my opinion).

Boxing, Kickboxing and Thai boxing all have very good sporting aspects and are excellent for fitness (probably the best), however u will never use weapons in them and some ppl may question there practicalities for self defence.

Jujitsu and judo are both very good if u want to learn about grappling and ground fighting, judo has a prominent sporting aspect especially in the UK.

Kung fu is very diverse system of martial arts with many different styles. Look out for Jeet Kune Do and Wing chun, both are very practical styles of kung fu. Wing chun kung fu uses weapons in its style, most famously the wing chun butterfly knifes but also the dragon pole.

If you want a soft style choose aikido, which uses various weapons such as the Tento, Jo and Bokken.

Personally I would go for Kyokushin karate, which I intend to study eventually. Its the most powerful form of karate. Here is a quote from the website I have linked below:

"Kyokushin is a Karate style that is famous for its knock-down system of fighting. The style is characterized by its tenous training, conditioning and full contact sparring. Kyokushin Karate was developed by Sosei Masutatsu Oyama who in 1964 gave the style the name "Kyojushin", which translates to "The Ultimate Truth". Oyama held a 4th Dan in Judo, and also studied Goju Ryu Karate, Shotokan Karate (reaching 4th Dan at the age of 20) and some Korean martial arts which he developed into his own style called Kyokushin-kai (Kyokushin Karate).

Oyama was an extremely strong man who popularised his art by inviting challengers to fight him and through stunts, such as killing bulls with his bare hands. Black belt gradings in Kyokushinkai are well known for their large number of kumite (sparring fights), sometimes as many as a 100."

Its excellent for fitness and body conditioning, great for self defence and has many sporting aspects.

Hope this helps, Good look in ur searches!

P.s, check this link out. Its a comprehensive database listing 40 different martial arts with pictures, discriptions and links to governing bodies:

http://www.martial-arts-info.com/

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Thanks everyone i have now decided on Ju jitsu at a local school i checked it out and it seemed really good, also when i went on the link provided it said ju jitsu did weapon training anyway "In addition to this Jujitsu also teaches weapons technique." so, i'll inform you on how my first days go thanks to everyone with the great advice :P

Thanks everyone i have now decided on Ju jitsu at a local school i checked it out and it seemed really good, also when i went on the link provided it said ju jitsu did weapon training anyway "In addition to this Jujitsu also teaches weapons technique." so, i'll inform you on how my first days go thanks to everyone with the great advice :P

Your JJ teaches weapon technique for defense or for use? What do you mean?

I think its just for tradition, they dont expect ppl to walk around with weapons under their sleeves!

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee