• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Iam 14 years of age, and recently decided i would like to start martial arts. However all the different styles are very confusing and i do not know what would be best for me, i mainly want it for when iam on the streets as nottinghams (uk) crime rate has increased alot. i would also like to learn how to use weapons but that really is just an added bonus.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi KingBuddha. Welcome to KF :)

You should start by looking to see what's in your area as far as martial art schools go (looking in the phone book is a good start). Make a list, and visit as many schools as you can. The UK usually has a good selection of schools (depending on where you are, that is).

Once you pick a few, let us know, and we can help explain those styles for you :)

Keep us posted.

Laurie F

i have looked around the net and have found the two that interest me most are tae kwon do and Kung Fu, now iam not sure which would be best for me as iam some what of a "couch potato" myself. i mainly want to do it to increase my suppleness and become more fit, as well as giving myself good defensive skills. if anyone could give me any information on which would be best then please do. Thanking you in advance.

i have looked around the net and have found the two that interest me most are tae kwon do and Kung Fu, now iam not sure which would be best for me as iam some what of a "couch potato" myself. i mainly want to do it to increase my suppleness and become more fit, as well as giving myself good defensive skills. if anyone could give me any information on which would be best then please do. Thanking you in advance.

Of course, everybody will have differing opinions on this, so heres's mine:

...to increase my suppleness and become more fit

Take the TKD for this. TKD is a good workout and will give you great flexability.

...giving myself good defensive skills

Skip the TKD if this is what you want. My personal opinion is that TKD is very poor in practical self-defense applications. They have lots of "flashy" techniques that looks real cool, but won't work in a street situation unless your opponent is very unskilled or stands there saying "hit me". This is, of course, my opinion, and not shared by all. There are some good TKD schools that teach the older version of TKD (less flashy), and I guess they are much better and realistic towards self-defense. Check out the school and look at what they do from a realistic viewpoint.

What system of kungfu are you looking at, and do either of these schools have a website that we can take a look at? It would help us if they did.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

hmm, i was informed by a friend that "Ju-jistu" would be good for me and involvs alot of real life things that could help me, what are everyones views on ju-jitsu...?

JJ is an excellent self-defense art if it is available in your area. It's biggest downfall is if you have to defend against moret than one opponent, as the majority (and feel free to correct me on this people) of it's techniques are taking your opponent to the ground, which leaves you vulnerable to his friends that are watching their buddy get hsi arm broken.

What else do you have available in your area besides Kungfu, JJ and TKD? As dinesh stated, and I concur, Shorinryu is an excellent system, but not nearly as widespread as many other systems.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

King Buddah, as you're in the Nottingham area, there's a Karate class at Redhill sports centre 3 times a week. It's run by the Chief Instructor of my karate organisation, who is an excellent martial artist and instructor.

There are also other FSK clubs in the Nottingham area, with a big club at the Tennis Centre.

If you want any more details, then send me a Private Message or check out FSK :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

jujitsu is good, so is just a regular ol boxing gym- that will get you into shape, too.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli