• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which art next and can someone explain 'Chi' ?

> The super tag team of thaiboxerken and 47MM.

> Whom here, are also skeptical in some way?

Sign me up on the skeptic list...

Let me clarify my thoughts on the "chi" debate. I thought that the

description on the old 24fightingchickens sight was useful. Chi may be useful as a way to describe the "feeling" someone has as far as generating or applying energy. I don't see any reason to debate that aspect - if it's a useful way for people in their training, then why not use it?

But as far as there being some undected-by-science system of channels

and meridians, I'm skeptical of that. I recently read "Qigong, Chinese Medicine or Pseudoscience". It was an awkward read. It's not entirely clear what the authors believe. It starts with a classical description of qi and qigong (as if it's given as fact), then show several instances of Chinese quackery reminiscent of American faith healing. It closes with advice on finding a good teacher. So maybe they're just denouncing "false qigong"??? I couldn't figure it out. Prometheus Books usually has pretty good "skeptic" books and I'm guessing they published this translation of a Chinese text to fill a void in the debate.

The books by Dr. Yang Jing-Ming present Chi theory in more detail and

he presents a pretty open minded approach toward investigation by western science.

But on the question of skeptism, I think extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. I'm a bit disappointed that there hasn't been (that I can find) a serious effort to conduct double-blind experiments to see how much we can benefit from Traditional Chinese Medicine. I was hoping

that the first book I mentioned would have described a more complete investigation into Chi and Qigong. I'm still waiting...

--kanryo2

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like he said, the master believed it was actualyl energy in you. you'll hear about some people who do somthing called *can't remember* akido i think it is and they actually think that they can harness the "chi" and shoot it, dragon ball z style. make shields, energy blasts and the like. its funny to read but i think its pretty stupid cause no one can do this.