• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which art next and can someone explain 'Chi' ?

My first post here - so firstly 'hi'

Couple of questions for you all

I practiced Karate (Wadokai) between the ages of 14 and 19 then went on to Seike Juku Karate for a further few years before giving it up.

At 33 I'm now looking to get back into it, but want to try something different from the kicking / punching arts, (no reason for this, just fancy a change) so thought about Aikido or Jiu Jitsu. I can see that Jiu Jitsu has a real basis in self defence (after all most fights end up on the ground) and looks to be quite an exciting art, however, I'm less convinced on Aikido, as it seems so little physical effort for such massive results. Of the videos and research I've seen on the Aikido art, it seems that students seem to toss themselves around at the slightest movement of the masters hands. Surely this wouldnt be the case in a real-life situation?

Sorry to sound a little skeptical on Aikido, maybe someone can set me right.

Finally, can someone explain Chi - the mystical chinese force that chinese masters seem to posses and use to great effect, again effortlessly? Is this force something that can be measured? Again, slightly puzzled and a little skeptical of this.

cheers

Neil

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that Jiu Jitsu has a real basis in self defence (after all most fights end up on the ground) and looks to be quite an exciting art, however, I'm less convinced on Aikido, as it seems so little physical effort for such massive results.

This sentance appears to be more flame-baiting than anything else... especially considering the JuJitsu has many of the exact same low-strength techniques.

Of the videos and research I've seen on the Aikido art, it seems that students seem to toss themselves around at the slightest movement of the masters hands. Surely this wouldnt be the case in a real-life situation?

That would depend on relative skills and your intent. Don't throw yourself when the Akidoko changes direction and something breaks.

Finally, can someone explain Chi - the mystical chinese force that chinese masters seem to posses and use to great effect, again effortlessly? Is this force something that can be measured? Again, slightly puzzled and a little skeptical of this.

There are many different things which get attributed to "Chi"... and no, I'm not aware of a "chi meter". I would suggest learning a little and experiencing it for yourself. Where-abouts are you at?

If you are truly interested in Aikido, you may try picking up a copy of Aikido for Life by Gaku Homma. It seems to give a basic understanding of Aikido and has a whole chapter on ki/chi.

I read this book while searching for a dojo and eventually settled on Shotokan. I'm still interested in Aikido, but could not find a dojo to my liking.

i remember reading a book called "angry white pajamas". i don't remember if i liked it or not, or much of what happens, but i do remember that it deals with aikido, and the training the guy went through to get bottom level competency was pretty hard core. just a point.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

thanks for the replies folks, no flame bating intended, simply stating my viewpoint at the time of writing. If Aikido works as well as it would appear then I consider this to be the direction I'll go.

I'll pick up a copy of the book and have a read through.

I'm in the UK (midlands) and are struggling to find a decent club around here, so want to be certain of which direction I want to go before seeking out a venue.

cheers

Neil

Try National Aikido Federation UK.

That was the organisation I was a member of before having to give up Aikido training.

Aikido is an excellent style IMO, it just takes a lot of dedicated practice and training to be even a little bit good. The average length of time to blackbelt 1st Dan is about 6-7 years, so a student has to be in it for the love of the art and not just to get a Dan grade.

Anyway, if you can't decide between Aikido and JuJitsu, then go along and have a look at clubs in your area and try out a few lessons with each. You'll probably get a 'feel' just from visiting of which art you'd prefer to train in.

BTW, where abouts in the Midlands are you?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

hi

Thanks for the link. I've never been into the arts to get a Dan grade but for the benefits for life, and obvious defense reasons.

I'm in a little village in Leicestershire, fairly close to Loughborough, if you know the area.

Neil

Chi is your "life force"......it is centered three fingers below your belly button.....called your "tanden".......think of that as your chi "gas tank"......chi runs through your body on what are known as meridian lines...your body is split like a mirror image from side to side......you have twelve meridian lines which are each active for a two hour period during the course of the day.....each of these meridian lines corrosponds to an internal organ......along these meridian lines are points which can be equated to a gate, or doorway.......striking these points in a specific order at certain times of the day can either start, stop, or reverse the flow of energy, causing various effects. In acupuncture, or accupressure, the goal is to restore health to certain areas of the body that need to be rehabilitated.....conversely, a chi master can also cause harm or injury to these areas as well......for example.....lets say you have a problem with your kidneys......with proper manipulation of these points along the kidney meridian line, health can be restored to the kidney......conversely again, if struck in the proper manner, a chi master can cause your kidneys to stop functioning......the effect of this is that over time, the body begins to poison itself and without proper attention, you will die.....same principle that requires people to need dialysis..........drawing chi to certain areas of the body is an amazing skill, and takes a very long time to be able to do.......the results of such training are amazing ......the ability to place a sprear for example in the throat, and push against it until the spear bends and breaks......or taking the point of a sword to the belly and doing the same........there have been documented demonstrations on film of these abilities, including a master who caused a piece of paper to smolder without even touching it......many years ago during kumite, I dislocated one of my thumbs....after popping it back in place, a tai chi master began pulling my chi to the area without even touching my arm.....my injury took about a day to recover from and have full mobility again.....obviously, that kind of injury requires much more healing time than a day, so I have no doubt that his "treatment" of my injury was more than effective.......chi DOES exist........thats all for now......

~Master Jules

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"