• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

KYOKUSHIN or SHOTOKAN

Zephyris

Hi i am new here and was planning on taking up karate. I have seen a couple of schools around my area and plan to visit them soon. I have no clue about these styles or names but i was pretty keen on KYOKUSHIN KARATE @ http://uskyokushin.com/endicott/ or the other school around here is SHOTOKAN KARATE @ http://www.fmkkarateschool.com/

I must admit i am not very flexible i guess being a computer science major i dont really indulge in too many physical activities. I have no personal preference as to what i prefer because i do not truly understand either as yet. I will going and watching some of the lessons i guess. But mainly i wanted advice on how these two styles differ and if full contact would be something wise to pursue.

My other question mainly would be how does it actually feel in the beginning to be honest i do feel weird shouting out things like kia or saying osu i guess i'll get used to it, but more about the physical strain beacuse i dont want to blindly jump into something. Should i physically train before i join karate or just try and do my best there? thanks a bunch.

Muay Thai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The best idea would be to go visit the 2 schools and see which one feels more like "home". Get the instructors to talk to you, don't be ashamed or afraid to ask questions. Pay attention to their way of behaving, the way they meet your questions, the way they behave with the students, the way students behave in class and so on. Do they look like thugs? Well maybe they are ... sometimes your nose is the best when "smelling rats" :D

Shotokan is more "light" that kyokushin. In some schools you'll sparr light to medium contact. In some there would be harder contact. Shotokan is known for point sparring. There are also schools that emphasize "reality" fighting .. A bad shotokan school is ... well bad and the style watered down. A good instructor can show you the real thing, a powerful and good style. Kyokushin is known as full contact karate. Again it depends on the school and the instructor. There are dojos where the style has lost all his glory, and schools where it is just awesome. The instructors are the key :karate:

I've chosen Shotokan. I respect Kyokushin, still my love is for Shotokan. You'll have this happening too. Visit the schools and one would just "stick" to your heart. A good sensei is a friend, a perent, a doctor, a teacher, a good person and so on. A good school is the one you feel like home, where coleagues are friendly and responsible, the place you crave for when far, the place you learn, respect and get respect, laugh and feel good, where you discover new things in you and so on :karate:

I think we had this topic a few months ago may have to look it up but my vote is shotokan for no other reason than thats what I do.

Again its not the style its the teacher first and the person learing second. We all have 2 arms 2 legs and one head there is no secret move or idea in any style that will give us a great advantage over another. Sure some arts fit body types better but in the end when we come full circle we all do front kicks and reverse punches and hip tosses and wrist locks.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I am gonna give you a practical answer,In your case I am disagree with previouse writers , you end up choosing between two completely opposite styles ,in shotokan you spar with full control, in Kyukoshin you spar full contact ( No punch in the face, No hit on the joints), So style comes before sensei. I don’t do full contact regularly since I am self employed and need to work, a broken wrist or shin is not gonna help me at all.In Kyukoshin as soon as you kick they sweep your other leg with full power so there is more chance for getting injured. I think you should start with Shotokan unless you really love full contact. as far as fitness if you really practice karate 3 days per week you‘ll get fit very soon.

hey guys thanks for all replying but i found this dojo and decided upon taking American Freestyle Kickboxing. Its a combination of muay thai and freestyle as in you can kick above and below the waist. I saw a class being demonstrated had a good chat with the sensei and I really liked it. So i guess i am gonna start tomorrow :D

Muay Thai