• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full Contact Karate Training

Sho-ju

....so we all agree that while 'full contact' is a term taken to describe a certain type of sparring,

the actual use of the term is inaccurate/wrong.

yes yes yes

lets move on.

Sho-ju and any other interested parties,

Here is an EXCELLENT article on training.

http://www.kyokushin.ca/kyokushin/training.html

I am not the author, nor am I affiliated with the dojo.

However, the article is extremely sound. If you have

not read it it, I would highly recommend following the link.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
....so we all agree that while 'full contact' is a term taken to describe a certain type of sparring,

the actual use of the term is inaccurate/wrong.

yes yes yes

lets move on.

Sho-ju and any other interested parties,

Here is an EXCELLENT article on training.

http://www.kyokushin.ca/kyokushin/training.html

I am not the author, nor am I affiliated with the dojo.

However, the article is extremely sound. If you have

not read it it, I would highly recommend following the link.

Fair enough but the point I was making is no one goes FULL contact. aka bare knuckle, blows to the groin, eye pokes, breaks, there is always some sort of rule in an event fight. Reguardless if its places you can't strike, wearing gloves, rounds or time limits. Full contact happens in one place and thats on the street when its life or death.

Its a technicality on words, no need to fret yourself over it. People use the term full contact all the time, and people understand what it implies.

Just for your info though, old Kyokushin had no rules. Yes you could grab a guys leg that was kicking at you and then boot him in the groin if you wanted. Kyokushin now has rules in tournements yes, but it is preety hard contact. You do try to knock your opponent out.

To the original poster. Our fight training we do lots of combo drills, lots of pad work, we condition our body a lot, especially the stomach by doing drills that involve hitting each other in the stomach hard, we do running, shadow boxing, semi contact, and free "full contact" fighting.

I'm with G59Champ all the way and couldn't have put it in better words.

I can see his passion. For years and years, our style, and other similar styles, have been put down because we are not "Full Contact." It has been said that we can not punch our way out of a paper bag, no power, no speed, no flexibility, etc... And in reality, we have all that and more.

If you were to say to us, let's do "full contact" sparring. You would step in, maybe one or two punches or kicks, then you would go down for the count. Then, if you were able to get back up, you would be upset because we were too hard on you. We would say, "you said full contact and that's what I did."

So yes, the word is severely mis-used in terms of competition versus reality. Full contact as a sport may require a lot of training and stamena, but lacks many other necessary elements of real life. Traditional Karate is on the basis of preparing one's self for real life Kill or Be Killed concepts. BTW, does anyone remember the movie "Kill or Be Killed?" This means to minmize and maximize energy expended to preserve one's life!

Full contact karate is a competition or sport with a set of rules to preserve "all" lives for the ribon, trophy or prize. Karate-do is an art and a way of life to preserve one's existence (meaning the other party must die in the traditional sense of the art/competition).

Fuel for thought the next time a person decides to knock traditional karate?

BTW G59Champ, I noticed you were on the East coast. Are you, or were you ever affiliated with Robert Fusarro's JKA group? (Hope I spelled his name correctly?) They always had a huge group that would come to summer camp every year...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Just for your info old shotokan does as well. Even though we work control we focus on developing power and if needed will use it again.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

We start off doing semi-contact. As we progress through the belts we learn free-fighting and full-contact sparring. We spar semi-contact at the end of every lesson, but for the ppl who've learnt free-fighting or full-contact; they can choose to do them instead.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I'm with G59Champ all the way and couldn't have put it in better words.

I can see his passion. For years and years, our style, and other similar styles, have been put down because we are not "Full Contact." It has been said that we can not punch our way out of a paper bag, no power, no speed, no flexibility, etc... And in reality, we have all that and more.

If you were to say to us, let's do "full contact" sparring. You would step in, maybe one or two punches or kicks, then you would go down for the count. Then, if you were able to get back up, you would be upset because we were too hard on you. We would say, "you said full contact and that's what I did."

So yes, the word is severely mis-used in terms of competition versus reality. Full contact as a sport may require a lot of training and stamena, but lacks many other necessary elements of real life. Traditional Karate is on the basis of preparing one's self for real life Kill or Be Killed concepts. BTW, does anyone remember the movie "Kill or Be Killed?" This means to minmize and maximize energy expended to preserve one's life!

Full contact karate is a competition or sport with a set of rules to preserve "all" lives for the ribon, trophy or prize. Karate-do is an art and a way of life to preserve one's existence (meaning the other party must die in the traditional sense of the art/competition).

Fuel for thought the next time a person decides to knock traditional karate?

BTW G59Champ, I noticed you were on the East coast. Are you, or were you ever affiliated with Robert Fusarro's JKA group? (Hope I spelled his name correctly?) They always had a huge group that would come to summer camp every year...

- Killer -

First, will you please stop acting so elite and above everyone else. You act like you can beat anyone in a real fight.

Secondly, will you stop acting like everyone puts your art down. Please just address this if someone actually DOES put your art down in a thread.