• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full Contact Karate Training

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We have two types of class - normal and fighting.

In the normal class we start with warmup, followed by basics.

We then do kata followed by two-man drills using pads, followed by fighting at the end.

In the fighting class there is more fighting (obviously) but more fighting techniques are taught as well as much more aerobic and stamina training, like running uphill, up steep steps etc or shadow boxing holding weights.

Osu!

ET

Full Contact is a over used word. No one goes true full contact because we would kill each other.

With that said we do light to mid contact. If the person is dazed we back off.

This is Shotokan BTW

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Full Contact is a over used word. No one goes true full contact because we would kill each other.

With that said we do light to mid contact. If the person is dazed we back off.

This is Shotokan BTW

Training for "full contact"

is more similar to kickboxing training than

it is to traditional karate.

Fair enough but the point I was making is no one goes FULL contact. aka bare knuckle, blows to the groin, eye pokes, breaks, there is always some sort of rule in an event fight. Reguardless if its places you can't strike, wearing gloves, rounds or time limits. Full contact happens in one place and thats on the street when its life or death.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Fair enough but the point I was making is no one goes FULL contact. aka bare knuckle, blows to the groin, eye pokes, breaks, there is always some sort of rule in an event fight. Reguardless if its places you can't strike, wearing gloves, rounds or time limits. Full contact happens in one place and thats on the street when its life or death.

That's called 'no holds barred or a street fight' and your right, what else would you call a competition where you can hit each other as hard as you can? I would probably call that full contact.

:karate:

wouldn't 'heavy contact' be more correct?

(especially if the other end of the spectrum is called 'light contact')

but of course that doesn't sound as good?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I think of full contact as meaing all areas are game. So is full speed and power. In other words you are using everthing aka its FULL. Not half full or light contact.

NHB is a sport. I have yet to see a NHB event without rules. So NO its not full contact.

No gloves, No rounds, All targest are fair game, Max speed, and Max force. Kill or be killed thats My version of Full Contant its not watered down its life.

If I get attacked and the guys is trying to kill me you bet I am going full contact.

With that said I do my best to not used excessive force but again this brings me back to my frist point full contact is much overused.

I think of full contact as meaing all areas are game. So is full speed and power. In other words you are using everthing aka its FULL. Not half full or light contact.

NHB is a sport. I have yet to see a NHB event without rules. So NO its not full contact.

No gloves, No rounds, All targest are fair game, Max speed, and Max force. Kill or be killed thats My version of Full Contant its not watered down its life.

If I get attacked and the guys is trying to kill me you bet I am going full contact.

With that said I do my best to not used excessive force but again this brings me back to my frist point full contact is much overused.

Not to be pedantic or perseverate, but. . .

Full Contact is an accepted term for several

different forms of sparring.

While you may be correct regarding "Full Contact", you have done

nothing to actually contribute to the original thread of conversation.

usuly it means a specific form of kumite

where there is not holding back on the power.

May be American rules Kickboxing, could be

Kyokushin-style Knockdown,

etc

yes yes yes, there is not actual full contact, not even in

Pride FC where they can use your head as a soccer ball

while you are on the ground. there is no eye gouging, no biting,

no (fill in the blank) bla bla bla.

lets move on and actually answer the original poster's question.

Full contact training should be undertaken gradually

to help an individual grow accustomed to it.

strengthening, conditioning etc.

see the trainign portion of my website for more information.

....so we all agree that while 'full contact' is a term taken to describe a certain type of sparring,

the actual use of the term is inaccurate/wrong.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."