• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The best streetfight

anyone for brutal honesty here??? no martial art in the worls is going to help you once you hit the ground and are getting waffle-stomped by 8 guys. How are you going to wrap them up with BJJ if 7 others are kicking your butt? Best case scenario there: RUN LIKE THE WIND!

I was about to say the exact same thing. 8 vs 1 is impossible, unless their a group of extreamley pathetic human beings or a bunch of kids. Anyone who says otherwise should try and take on 8 ppl, all though they'd probably never be able to tell us how it went...

Back to the subject, i saw such a gr8 fight between two women last night outside a club. One of them was a complete man-beast and the other a complete a witch. Anyway there was about 15 minutes of abuse being shouted (both were being restrained by groups of friends) and suddenly the witch broke free and started hitting the other girl. Honestly they were the worst punches i've ever seen! she kept slapping the top of the girls head with qlenched fists and screaming, then she suddenly fell to her knees and began crying for some reason, the other girl started crying aswell and just walked of with her boy friend (who was also a complete freak).

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...No need to do any cross-training? Dude, that is one of the worst attitudes to have if you want to learn how to defend yourself.

So your saying that people that only do one art will be hopeless in a self defence situation? Lets review some things.

Why would i need to cross train? Well lets go through a few styles i could cross train in.

MT / boxing - No need as my art completely covers striking from both hands and feet.

Bjj / Wrestling - No need as we do groundwork and takedowns and fighting on the ground against standing attacher.

Judo - No need as we do ALOT of locking and throwing.

If you knew anything about the art im studying you would understand what im talking about.

I think that people do have a chance if they come across a group of 8 or so individuals, allbeit very little. However, in my particular case i decided to run, was chased down and had no chance to even put my hands up let alone try and defend myself. I was with someone else when it happened but they didnt get caught and didnt come back to help or anything, so basically i was by myself :)

Hand to hand, heart to heart

If you don't come, i will not start

But if you start, i will arive first

And hit you continuiously untill i see red.

...No need to do any cross-training? Dude, that is one of the worst attitudes to have if you want to learn how to defend yourself.

So your saying that people that only do one art will be hopeless in a self defence situation? Lets review some things.

Why would i need to cross train? Well lets go through a few styles i could cross train in.

MT / boxing - No need as my art completely covers striking from both hands and feet.

Bjj / Wrestling - No need as we do groundwork and takedowns and fighting on the ground against standing attacher.

Judo - No need as we do ALOT of locking and throwing.

If you knew anything about the art im studying you would understand what im talking about.

Maybee it's true , i , personally , don't know anything about ur art .. any way lets do some math here , lol ..

MT is 90 % about striking

BJJ/wrestling is 90% about groundwork and takedowns

Judo is 90% about throwing and locking ...

so if you train in MT , almost all the training would be about striking , same goes to BJJ and Judo ..

while in ur art , the instructor has to combine those styles in one session that means 30 % for striking , 30% for ground work and 40% for throwing ( i assumed the 40% bcause u said u do a lot of throwing and locking )

so the instructor has 2 options here , the first is to teach differant techniques at the same session , and i don't think that would be verry effective because that may distress the student's attention

the second is to focus on one technique at each session , in this case , number of sessions per week must be increased ..

mastering one of these arts ( striking , grappling and ground work ) requires more then 3 sessions per week , what about mastering all 3 of them , most of instructors teaches 3 times or minus per week , lets say you take 4 sessions .. while in cross training you might take 6(+) sessions , so probably cross training is better

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

so probably cross training is better

I fully agree with what your saying, however your arguing the wrong point. I was originally said that i dont need to cross train, not EVERYONE doesnt need to cross train. My art gives me everything, but someone studying MT for example will be lacking the ground skills to be effective on the ground, so for them cross training (whilst not being essential) is a very good option. But for me, it would just be a waste of time learning something im going to learn anyway in my first art.

mastering one of these arts ( striking , grappling and ground work ) requires more then 3 sessions per week , what about mastering all 3 of them , most of instructors teaches 3 times or minus per week , lets say you take 4 sessions .. while in cross training you might take 6(+) sessions

Now, whilst making sense to me, i must stress that im not in my art to "master it as quick as i can". The curriculum of lau kune takes 15 years to complete. (that info coming from my sifu)

Hand to hand, heart to heart

If you don't come, i will not start

But if you start, i will arive first

And hit you continuiously untill i see red.

• 4 weeks later...

The reason though that cross training is so effective is because you get different philosophies and ideas. Kata, the way you kick, the way you grab someone to do a throw or lock are just the outward part of MA. The true nature is about the reasons behind the techniques. And to adress the post about MT, reason MT is such a great art to learn is because of how tough you have to be to be a part of it. They do as much conditioning/fitness as they do training of techniques/actual fighting. And BJJ, basically cause a lot of tough guys like BJJ and knowing what to expect is an awfully good advantage.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• 1 month later...