• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tonfas...

zerohour

Are Tonfa's usually used in pairs? Or do you start learning just with one, and step up to two when you know what you're doing? Just wondering because i'd like to have a go with one. Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tonfa are traditionally used and taught in pairs. I find it easiest if you find one that fits you, as they are much more difficult to handle (sometimes literally the handle) otherwise.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Tonfa are used and learned in pairs normally, but can certainly be used individually. I begin teaching them to a student with one in each hand because they are just an extension of the arm, and at the point I teach the weapon (sankyu) they already have a solid grasp of the system.

With slight modifications, the basic blocks and strikes of karate and kobudo are the same in our system, so the transition from empty hand to weapons training is pretty smooth.

As with any weapon, proper instruction to get the maximum benefit from each weapon is important. It's very easy to teach yourself bad technique, and then have difficulty unlearning that technique when you begin learning the weapon properly.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• 2 weeks later...

:) Tonfa are utilised as a pair.

however, if yo ulive in the UK, you cannot BUY, SELL, CARRY or otherwise have in your possesion except if on a direct route between home and class ( no popping for petrol or a loaf of bread on route ) as they are now listed as an restricted weapon. ( June 04 ammendment to the Criminal Justice act )

which is SO funny. A baseball bat - legal, a side handled baton - illeagal

12 inch bucher knife rolled up in a bag - legal - side hanled wooden baton - not.

I can see the criminals wondering what they will lever do without it. should take them .5 seconds to remeber the easily converted handgun they can get from the fishing shop.

Not dead yet. I just havent showered after training

Many martial arts weapons are now restricted under amendments to the Criminal Justice act, unless they are carried in a zipped (pref. locked) case either to or from training.

If you have them in your car then you must carry them in the boot (trunk), which must be locked.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

would you ever use a tonfa in ur non-dominant hand and let's say a sword in the dominant hand? seems like it'd be somewhat effective.

I suppose you could use them that way, but if you're using a Japanese katana, it's a two handed weapon and not really designed for one handed use.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"