• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problem with my Dojang.

Hey all...have a problem here, looking for some opinions.

Now, my Dojang is a great place...aimed towards kids, the kids almost always come out of it better. It gives them discipline, respect, confidence, and fitness. We're very cheap, $65 a month for unlimited classes, $55 if you pay by automatic debiting. We are not a bad school.

But I don't think I'm learning how to fight. I don't think the training is what I need.

I KNOW my Instructor is a very good Martial Artist. It's almost as if he's afraid to teach us things that may cause pain...things like full contact sparring.

I can understand why he won't teach this to the kids class. They are our main source of income, and the vast majority of them would leave. We're already not exactly in great shape monetarily.

But NO ONE in the adult class would leave. And it would be better for us. I could talk to my Instructor, but I doubt he would listen.

I know most of you will probably say to just find a new school. But I love my Dojang, the place, the people, everything. I've trained there most of my life.

:(

I need advice. PLEASE HELP ME.

Tang Soo!

Passion transcends pain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There could be a few reasons why he doesn't want to teach full contact fighting.

1. He might have not trained that way himself and doesn't know how to teach it.

2. He might be looking at it from a school owners perspective and thinking about the liability issue.

We were pretty much a Olympic style TKD school until we decided that we do need more realistic training, plus I get kind of bored teaching just TKD and really want my students to be well rounded.

There could be a few reasons why he doesn't want to teach full contact fighting.

1. He might have not trained that way himself and doesn't know how to teach it.

2. He might be looking at it from a school owners perspective and thinking about the liability issue.

Very true. But it's not just that. I am a perfectionist. Note that we do NOT give away belts. But it's very rare that people fail a test, and it's NOT because they really earned the rank. We place more weight on trying your best. This is important to me. But it's also important to know the techniques, know how to use them, know what it is you're doing. I don't feel I'm getting that.

Passion transcends pain.

Do you yourself know if your Instuctor has trained people at sparring ?

Good points Squawman, it could be liabilities he is worried about. Have you spoken with him ? I'm guessing your not the only student wondering this ?

I would just ask him respectfully why he dosen't, you might be suprized at the answer or at least get a answer.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

well, one of two things is happening: either you are learning to fight, just slowly so you dont see the benifits yet. or, youre just not. if i can throw some bias in here, since its a dojang (implying tkd, right?) youre probably not.

also, kids and full contact sparring probably isnt a good idea. think about it.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

Rotten- I will ask him. I am just a bit afraid he will get angry or offended.

Vito- Tang Soo Do, not Tae Kwon Do. Also, I already stated that I understand that he shouldn't teach full contact sparring to kids. I'm talking about the adult class.

Passion transcends pain.

Mu Ryuk,

My dojang was like that. They were picky as far as technique goes, and earning rank, BUT they used to be sport. I felt that I wasn't learning self defense. I decided to train elsewhere. But in my exit interview, they asked why I was quiting. I told them why. It is a good school, but it's not what I'm looking for out of MA.

I trained somewhere else for a year. But since my boyfriend stayed at the first school, I would still go with him to watch him in class (when I wasn't training) and see old friends. The instructor didn't have a grudge against me or hold what I did/said against me, cause I was polite about it.

But for that year, I saw people come and go. The instructor changed his curriculum, and he found that more people stuck around. I was having problems at my new school, so I went back to the old one. I really enjoy it now.

So maybe you need to explore another school, then come back. It worked well for me. It's just a suggestion.

Laurie F

Seems i'm in the same situation as you Mu Ryuk.

My school isn't so expensive as well but that's partially because there is no insurance. And with no insurance full contact sparring seems to be too much of a risk.

There is some semi contact sparring but that's for the more advanced ones so that's also a reason why i'm not doing so much sparring.

Anyway, you should check if there's insurance yes or no, if not that will probably be a big reason why there's no full contact sparring.

I am just a bit afraid he will get angry or offended.

Try approaching your sensei with a 6-pack of his favorite brew in your hand. It always works for my students! :lol:

OK, you need to quit worrying about if your sensei will get mad or offended. You are paying him for instruction, and you have every right to ask him questions about training. Be respectful of course, not demanding.

Unless of course, he's one of those "Me God, you pond scum..do what I say and don't ask questions" instructors? I've seen some of those in Korean and Japanese dojo's. I'd walk out the door real quick with those people.

On the insurance/liability question. I know that everybody is paranoid as hell about getting sued, and I am NOT suggesting anybody take the approach and attitude that I have about it, but I have never carried insurance of any kind on my dojo, nor will I. I have my students sign a release form (almost worthless, I know) and give them my standard lecture before they take their first class on "This is karate, not square dancing, and the possability of injury is always present, so you do this at your own risk.", and then they sign it. As a lawyer explained it to me, yes, they can still sure me, but they have to prove neglience on my part in court, because my laibility form uses expressed, instead of implied liability.

Also, I have been an instructor since 1978 teaching people from ages 6-70+, and I have a pretty good network of fellow sensei scattered around the Northwestern US, and not one of them has ever been sued, nor has ever known any other sensei that has ever been sued for injuries recieved during classes. Not to say it can't happen, but most people go into the arts realizing that we're not just doing pretty moves here, but rather that we are learning to hurt people, and they accept taking the chance of getting hurt themselves.

OK, I've said my piece, and you're certainly welcome to support the insurance companies if you wish to, but I won't. Someday, it may prove me wrong, but I think as long as you teach a good, reasonable safe (accidents can happen in any activity) class, I think the chances of a lawsuit are minimal.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I agree with Shorinryu Sensei, and I think its nice to get some common sense into the discussion. I tell my classes often that if they think I'm teaching them something that doesn't work, I want to know about it. Either in class or, if they are not confident enough to do that, in private after class. Over the years I have had thousands of questions. Many I could reassure by demonstration, but many caused me to rethink what I was doing. Instructors more than anyone should be open to learning. Either that or they should be able to justify what they're doing without taking offence.