if anyone has information about a school or teacher in the Houston Texas

area, please let me know. :bawling:

I am not to particular about style, however I am very concerned about

quality instruction.

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I dont know which city he is in, but there is an American Kenpo instructor out there named Sharky Lecroy(not sure on spelling) he is a great instructor, hes an old full contact fighter from the 70s... good guy, funny, well trained and a good teacher.

I will see if i can find where he is at

Of course, everybody will have their own opinions of which system/instructor to recommend, myself included, but if you contact this gentleman, Sensei Ron Lindsey of Bastrop, Tx, I believe he has students that are teaching in Houston, and in my opinion, there is no better system for a good, authentic, effective martail arts system anywhere!

This is a link to his website. I HIGHLY recommend talking to him and seeing if he has one of his students in Houston.

http://www.houston.iapc.net/~kmap/styles/whitecrane.html

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Thanks for the info guys...

Shorinryu Sensei, thanks for the link and the name, I will definitely look him up. However, the school in the link is out! Not because I don't think they are legit, (also I think they have a nice site) but, the training fee is 130.00 US a WEEK! Goodness man, almost 500.00 US a month???

:roll:

:kaioken:

Thanks for the info guys...

Shorinryu Sensei, thanks for the link and the name, I will definitely look him up. However, the school in the link is out! Not because I don't think they are legit, (also I think they have a nice site) but, the training fee is 130.00 US a WEEK! Goodness man, almost 500.00 US a month???

:roll:

:kaioken:

$130/week? Really? Wow, I didn't know that..sorry. Well, it is still worth a shout to the guy to see if one of his people is teachign in Houston. Trust me, you're not going to find anything more authentic or that works anywhere.

I don't know Sensei Lindsey personally, as in I've never met him, but I know "about" him through instructors I have worked with, and I have a couple of home made videos Sensei Lindsey sent me years ago. The man is as good as it gets in authentic Okinawan martial arts, and he is incredibly knowledgable. I'd say he's easily in the top 5 in the US, possible anywhere outside of Okinawan itself.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

That's too bad...between Lindsey and Keller you'd be able to pick up an enormous amount of training...is it really $130 a week? You don't normally find too many traditional karate instructors (and they are legit, too) that charge that much (at least in my experience).

Edit: That $130 is for his weekly after school care program...that's actually a pretty good considering they're being watched AND learning martial arts...those after school care programs are really expensive nowadays and at least they would be getting something out of it...

I would recommend giving Keller a call and seeing what actual classes cost, it'd probably be much lower.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

sensei Darrel Craig in Houston Budokan (290 west)

he teaches Kendo,Taho jujitsu,Karate

his style is shori-te , low level katas he use Jap. styles with low stances, higher level katas are tomari-te.he is a great man. good thing is there are some seriouse black belt in the class and they never miss a class so classes are all serious bad thing is ,he doesn't emphesis on sparring ,you may sparr one 2 times per year ,it's mostly waza and bunkai.they practice 7:30 to 9:30PM

Sensei Keller (59 south) has a martial art school but he deosn't teach anymore but his wife deborah is there shi is Godan. I have not met her but actually I am gonna go there again, first time I was not impressed by her black belts hopefully i was wrong, I practiced with them one time. they practice 7:30 to 8:30PM

sensei Yokoyama teches kenshin-kai if you can find him , I don't know he instructs any more or not,

it's a shorin ryu style with first 12 katas,

let me know what style you have wored on before for more information.

School Name: American Kenpo Consulting

Address: Houston, TX

Phone: 281-343-0581

Head Instructor / Rank: Terry McCord, 2nd Degree Black Belt

Style: Ed Parker's American Kenpo, Paul Mills

Associations: AKKI

Email Address: Terry McCord

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

School Name: Ryukyu Kenpo

Address: near West Bellfort and Fondren, Houston, TX

Phone: 713-728-8641

Head Instructor / Rank: David Altman

Style: Ryukyu Kenpo

Description: Teaches privately, so call for information to arrange a free introductory lesson. Teaching 9th grade up and adults.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

School Name: Houston American Kenpo Training Platform

Address: Houston, TX

Phone: 713-728-4084

Head Instructor / Rank: Jason Bugg, 1st Degree Black Belt

Style: Ed Parker's American Kenpo, Imua Kenpo

Assocation: American Kenpo Federation (Brian Duffy), Imua Kenpo (Ron Braughton), OAKKA

Email Address: Mr. Bugg

School Name: Kenpo Karate: The Martial Way

Address: 6100 Fairdale Ln. #8, Houston, TX 77057

Phone: 713-784-3237

Head Instructor / Rank: Jeff Townsend, 2nd Deg. Black Belt

Style: Ed Parker's American Kenpo

Associations: IKKA

You might try contacting some of these instructors. I don't have any info or recomendations on these schools. They are from an old list, but hopefully you can get ahold of some of them. Good luck.

Freedom isn't free!