• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

best american martial arts film??

....well, you can answer to cos it applies to you as well.

um, what do you mean by folk tales?

the martial arts ones or the legends/stories about gods and demi gods and stuff?

too many stories.

the little boy/girl who killed the dragon king of the north seas (um, he/she cut of his head for fun) and angered the other three dragon kings who then went to plot against him/her and then getting entangled with evil underworldy gods until the top emporer guy in the sky got really annoyed with everyone, esp the boy/girl cos she's really naughty inbetween everything....

or the one about the ten brothers who each had an amazing enhanced power (sight, strength, hearing etc etc) and something about a turtle....

and then there's the many fantasy stories

and semi historical legends like the story of the yeung gar who were a family of famous generals/soldiers.

'7 goes, 6 comes back....'

so, which stories do you like?

:brow:

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE MATRIX you fools...

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

good lord, i've only heard two of the three of those. only the 10 brothers one i read was condensed down to 5. unless those are two different stories...

i've been reading all kinds of 'em; sitting down at the local barnes and noble and reading them furiously. perhaps it's just the novelty, as america really dosen't have much in the way of folk lore. you can only take so much paul bunyon and pecos bill. i mean, you have all of the myths and what not about the presidents and big generals, but those are more irritating then entertaining.

though, as much as i've really been digging chinese folk tales lately, you guys have a lot of crap, too. like the one where the girl dresses up like a boy so she can goto school and learn to read and.... that's it. ... ...perhaps i missed something.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

oh, and ironberg, i was tempted to say the matrix, but the second and third were so bad, and now i can't watch the first one without thinking about how it's been corrupted. kind of like once upon a time in china, only not quite so severe. god, my dad and i were so dissapointed...

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

.....the stories is something that comes from having thousands of years of history and culture as opposed to a few hundred years.

also, the fact that the ancient chinese were highly superstitious,

lends itself to story telling.

have you come acoss any of the little stories?

y'know, like the one about a centipede who was a real hard worker

and eventually managed to dig up and move an entire mountain?

(the story itself has been shortened into a phrase to represent hard work can gain great results)

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

i figured as much :wink:

and no, i haven't :) feel free to fill me in. y'know, unless that's it, in which case, thank you

...well, that is kinda it.

in fact, in chinese, it's now only shortened to four characters.

ng gung, yee sang

centipede, moves moutain.

from little fable to common proverb.

we likes them.

you'll find a lot of little four character sayings that have a little story to them.

i think it's all to do with confucius and the way he wrote his texts and how that in turn was used a basis for teaching.

i'm not actually sure where you would find them things.

most of them were drummed into me as a child....

y'know, short, fat, lazy...

i was prime target for 'motivational' proverbs.

"i'm not actually sure where you would find them things.

most of them were drummed into me as a child....

y'know, short, fat, lazy...

i was prime target for 'motivational' proverbs"

:lol: :lol: :lol: ha, i hear ya.

i find them mostly in childrens book form. it's always embarassing to be sitting next to a stack of childrens books at the books store, looking over them intensely, and then having a group of girls you know walk by and give you an odd look... :roll:

i've also found a few in compilation books

so, was there a reason the centipede moved the mountain? or did he just decide he wanted to? :-?