• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

best techniques to end a fight

I think that if you were close enough to headbutt him, then you were too close and should have acted sooner. But yes, a headbutt is an effective means to disorient your opponent, assuming you hit the appropriate targets and don't celebrate afterwards. Your advantage is only a moment, and thus you must act quickly to exploit it.

btw, there are other things about that encounter that bother me, but i'll leave others to query you to death on it. ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, there are other things about that encounter that bother me, but i'll leave others to query you to death on it. ;)

Yeh mate, i just tryed put the the whole thing into a nut shell, there was a party going on in the area and i just happened to be at the wrong place in the wrong time.

Hey, i was just wondering i dont think ive seen anyone talk about headbutting, but for example last night i had an confrontation with some people who wanted fight me for no reason other than them bragging that theyve been in 3 fights that night and after all the ways i tryed to talk my way out of it i was basicly forced to fight. So instead of throwing the first punch i quickly grabed him and headbutted him in the face, from that instant on he couldnt throw punches properly and cos of that i was able to dodge and grab his main arm and land a knee to his chest which put him running around the corner on his phone ringing up his mates to back him up. While i had someone between me and the other guy to stop the fight i tryed a smart thing and say that i aint gonna fight ne more his mate came out of nowhere and hit me in the face unexpectedly, it didnt really do much to me except give me reason pay him out for his cowardence. So from that experience i learnt that height doesnt really mean much when it comes to that tecnique and i still got to walk away undamaged except from a bleeding lip, im only 5'7 and he easily being 5'10 i felt the headbutt was very effective and didnt hurt my own head as much as ud think. So what do others think of headbutting?

Do whatever it is that would seem to work for the situation, (although I don't see how naturaly a person can headbutt someone you must have thought about doing that before the fight even started :brow: ) Sense you were 5''7' (like me) up againts a taller person I assume you did a straight forward headbutt while grabbing him and because he was taller you hit him maybe in the nose?

When the fight starts it will be whateevr techniques you trained with! For you, its a grab and a headbutt but for me its a left hand grab and a right elbow strike to the chin...and then move on to the Muay Thai Clinch and destory him with a flurry of knees

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

ElbowTKO

if u hit a headbutt, the guy wasnt expecting it or he wouldnt get close, so I would say an elbow to the face would probably end the fight before it started- just dont let him get back up to try anything on you again ;) lol

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

(although I don't see how naturaly a person can headbutt someone you must have thought about doing that before the fight even started :brow: )

Yeh i sorta had it planned while trying to talk him out of fighting. 1. I found it a good way to stall in order to plan out your attack and 2. theres even a high chance u wont fight cos you were smart enough to talk your way out of it so its win/win

• 4 weeks later...

Take advantage of your situation.

Personnaly I'd recommend a low powerful kick to the shin/ankle area as it hurts like hell and can break a joint, thus disabling your opponent

"...to stand between the candle and the shining moon..."

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the flashy techniques being suggested above sound highly impractical for actual unplanned confrontations. I agree with the moderates in this thread who believe it reflects better on you as a person to talk the situation down.

However, should you find yourself backed into a corner once mediation has failed, then I would recommend using whichever technique you know best.

For me, that's just a straight punch jodan. I've practised that punch millions of times and it's the main technique I can definitely strike very hard with.

Attack first, without warning, and without having let them know you are an adept in martial arts. Hit any of the vital points (by know you'll know where they are), and make sure it's hard enough, that you can run away without being apprehended by their friends or the authorities.

shotokan all the way, baby

Seems to me that there isnt much real life experiece in the responses. The answers are typical of our new understanding of the best way to end a fight. If we asked the same question 30 years ago can you imagine the exotic techniques that we would get. The martial artist is a funny creature after so many years of paying for lessons from high ranking instructers and the imformation available from so many sources there should be no debate. We should know the answer. But why dont we. Why are we unsure. Boxers, Kickboxers and wrestlers do not debate the effectiveness of their techniques. They do not question what works and what doesnt and that is not learnt in a lifetime. Its learnt in combat.

I know what your going to say next......But they have rules.....

An 8th dan karate expert glorified in his feild tried to convince me that karate was the answer to my question to him...That was

Whats the best way to end a fight?...he told me to practice his karate, the answer was in the kata. I practised and practised to work out his meaning. Took his imformation to real combat, and guess what, it didnt work. So I went back to the instructor and said to him put the gloves on and get in the ring and show me how you defend yourself. He reacted just like any other bloke in a streetfight. No special moves. just bad boxing.

The answer to your question is. You will react in the way that you train.

Combat is simple. dont complicate it. There is a reason why we have weight divisions in competitive combat. There is a reason why we have rules. Just take a tried and tested combat sport and learn it well. Then take away the rules. You dont need a grandmaster to guide you.

Unfortunately there are people out there that need to protect themselves lets not hide the truth to take their money.

Seems to me that there isnt much real life experiece in the responses. The answers are typical of our new understanding of the best way to end a fight. If we asked the same question 30 years ago can you imagine the exotic techniques that we would get. The martial artist is a funny creature after so many years of paying for lessons from high ranking instructers and the imformation available from so many sources there should be no debate. We should know the answer. But why dont we. Why are we unsure. Boxers, Kickboxers and wrestlers do not debate the effectiveness of their techniques. They do not question what works and what doesnt and that is not learnt in a lifetime. Its learnt in combat.

I know what your going to say next......But they have rules.....

An 8th dan karate expert glorified in his feild tried to convince me that karate was the answer to my question to him...That was

Whats the best way to end a fight?...he told me to practice his karate, the answer was in the kata. I practised and practised to work out his meaning. Took his imformation to real combat, and guess what, it didnt work. So I went back to the instructor and said to him put the gloves on and get in the ring and show me how you defend yourself. He reacted just like any other bloke in a streetfight. No special moves. just bad boxing.

The answer to your question is. You will react in the way that you train.

Combat is simple. dont complicate it. There is a reason why we have weight divisions in competitive combat. There is a reason why we have rules. Just take a tried and tested combat sport and learn it well. Then take away the rules. You dont need a grandmaster to guide you.

Unfortunately there are people out there that need to protect themselves lets not hide the truth to take their money.

i dont really know how to "box" properly but if we had to fight I can promise you I will defend myself well, even if u are a great boxer, no offense.

my training in martial arts(even though my school doesnt really go to tournaments) prepares me for real fights, be it our same way fo fighting or something we havent seen before, we adapt quickly.

so, my conclusion from your post is you had a bad martial arts instructor and decided that martial arts were innefective.

hopefully, one day you can experience something genuine and see what you have been missing.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty