• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

best techniques to end a fight

I just thought I'd share this little story on "effective techniques"

I study Kung Fu, and if anyone has seen a typical kung fu "bow in" which usually involves raising both hands (in our schools case, one in a fist with the other around, brought in front of the body abruptly) this will make more sense

In highschool when I had maybe a half-year of training under my belt, I let my mouth run in front of my brain and ended up insulting a guy maybe 20 pounds bigger then me, more athletic then I was to say the least. We were out in the parking lot behind the school (where the path I used to take home was) and it was apparent something was going to happen, and it did in the form of a wide open haymaker.

Of course, nowadays I can think of an unending ways to stop someone as wide open as I remember him being, but back then I did the technique I had the most practice with: my formal bow.

So right before I was going to get hit I instinctively hopped into a cat stance and shot my hands out, right into the guys face. Of course, that really didnt put up anything against his punch which landed square on my cheek, but it was far less effective having just smashed the guys nose a moment before. But at least I drew first blood, which was enough to make him stop (or pause long enough to get us noticed by a teacher). I ended up serving a month's worth of detention for that little stunt but I will always strike that up as a victory in my book.

I apologize if this story is hard to read, I type like I think.

Moral of the story: Most effective technique is the right technique at the right time with the most practice behind it that stops the fight.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the guy unable to fight back- break that nose and he has a hard time breathing, eyes start watering, etc...crunch that knee and walk away...snap that elbow...

Now, if we are talking about school fights or something other than a street fight...a good side kick to the ribs is hard to get over- makes every breath a reminder of how well they DIDN'T do against you. Same for the old classic punch to "the button" or side of the jaw. Every time they open their mouth is pain.

AND, it should also be noted that you should do it as quickly as possible. Don't go in flailing your arms around like a bad wrestling video, but when you see that opening (and against an untrained fighter, it WILL happen) hit it with the absolute most you can muster. Make the guy not wanna fight. Hurt him BAD on your first shot and it will be the only shot you have to throw....

Ikken Hisatsu (one strike kill) strategy...

shi wa hei to de aru

"All are equal in the grave"

• 2 weeks later...

It seems as martial artists we tend to want to conjure up a vast array of technique to end a fight. When at the heat of the moment, I wonder if all or any of the scenarios we have played back in our minds (over and over again i'm sure), would actually even give the opportunity to apply the given technique played in our minds.

All that to say this!

Kick him in the nuts, poke him in the eye(s) and walk away! :wink:

"Blessed be the Lord my Rock, and my keen and firm Strength, Who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1

Uppercut to the throat with a closed fist? Because if you land that, you probably just killed them.

A full force uppercut to throat would have the chance of killing them, yes. If you excersie control, however, and strike with enough force simply to shock them, if you will, then, for the most part you need not worry about death.

That is to say, if you can excersize proper control. If not, you are 100% correct.